Musings on Coolant Flush

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis Smink

Reaction score
I flushed the coolant in my 01 Ranger 4.0L last week. Evidently the previous owner of this truck never changed the hoses so the factory hoses & clamps were still on it. I am convinced that part of the training for new factory workers at Ford is proper placement of hose clamps. With the exception of the top clamp on the upper radiator hose I had difficulty removing the clamps. It was as if the trainers told the new workers to put the ends of the clamp, not at the 10 o'clock position but move them to the 10:15 position, etc. Whatever would give the poor slob who had to take them off, without the use of a special tool, the maximum amount of aggravation!:wacko:

One other observation, I thought that the heater hoses are one part from the firewall to where-ever they end up. Upon further examination, I realized that the hose coming from the firewall clamps on the metal hose which then terminates wherever. So, the heater hoses can be replaced. If I had known that I would have done it at the same time.

They are still easy enough to replace...

ALSO those factory clamps can move on their own, put one on, and twist the hose, IT will move for about 2-3 days.....

The hoses are put on before the engine is in the truck, so the guy doing it, does it as easy for him as possible..

Todd Z