Multiple problems, need advice!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Caffyn

Reaction score
On first start-up, I'm getting a moderately loud tapping sound from the engine bay. Lifter? It goes away after about a minute of warm-up. HOWEVER, for about a month now I am getting 2 DTC's. P0420 & P0430, "Catalyst system below efficiency threshold, (b1 & b2). Bad cats? Exhaust leak(manifolds)? Bad O2 sensors? Could use some help here. I'm kinda leaning towards the manifolds(broken stud?) and if this is the problem, BBK is gonna send me some headers. Well, there it is.....Bob :cry:

Don't know much about anything as i just got my Sport trac about a month ago. Actually had more trouble with it in last month then in 8 years with my civic, but that is a different story. lol....

Have p0430 error myself. Took it to the dealer and it ended up being a bad cat. Waiting on part now from ford since it falls under emission warranty. Engine doesn't sound any different though. Alittle ticking noise but that has always been there and am told it is 4.6 3v make that sound. Only on idle though. God thing about warranty is i will get both cats replaced since factory part has both cats. At least that is what i am told. Hopefully someone has some better info....

Sounds like the Exhaust manifolds......... Sucks !@

Todd Z

+1 on what Todd said...

Had this exact same problem on a 2010 Dodge Ram with a cracked manifold. The sound would go away after the manifold warm up because the metal expanded and sealed the crack it had.

don't mean to steal thread, but i have a question. In my case since it is the cat. Actually the drivers side exshaust manifold was done at 70000 km. Now at 79000 cat is dead, same side. i know because dealer gave me paper work for the exshaust manifold that previous owner did. Did the busted manifold ruin the cat also? Seems that coil 5 and 6 were changed as well. Seems wierd to me that i cat would die on a 4 year old truck and wondering if it is all a coincidence.

Latest posts