MPG 07 ST V8

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve moore

Reaction score
HI all

I picked up my 07 ST on saturday.Had 22 miles on her . I know this isnt very accurate but on my first tank of fuel I averaged just under 17 MPG mostly HWY and some city. Considering my old 04 ST got around 20, I don't think this is all that bad. I am really going to keep trake of this and will post once I get more data.

Steve:cool:

The high gearing on the v8 tranny and the 6 speeds makes it easier to get the truck moving..

And the 3.55 rear with the OD is good Highway Mpg...

Keep us updated...

Todd Z

OK, Ghosty has 3500 driver-smilin' miles on him, and I've never been this smitten with any vehicle. I have never reset the gas mileage display, and right now, with 50% highway miles and 50% in-town, he has averaged 17.9 mpg. And, I must say, I have had a heavy foot here since 2500 miles or so. Man, that V8 really starts singing to me around 4500-5750 rpm!!

FYI on MPG and other stuff...Picked my 4.6L Limited up 4 weeks ago and 1st tank I was under 11mpg, 2nd tank about 12 mpg, 3rd about 14 mpg and the last two tanks were which had more Hwy 70-30% I was about 18mpg. The dealer claimed some of the 4.6L were "tight" and will improve between my 1200 miles and 3500 miles. Never heard or have seen anything like that, that is, mpg improving after break-in, but maybe I never paid attention?! This vehicle definitely appears to be working out that way. I drive fairly aggressively but not necessarily a lead-foot. That issue aside, I have never been happier with a new vehicle than this one. It is awesome. Also took it in the woods this past weekend, deep...creeks, ribbed roads, mud, DEEP ruts, handled all with remarkable smoothness. Who say that only a live-axle works off-road? This new IRS was terriffic; I am a little worried about the vast exporure of the gas tank however? But with the IRS, the center clearance for deep rutted roads must be 12"+ (they claim 8.4"); but I am rambling....

Closing, I hope the MPG gets up to 17 mpg overall, that would be nice at $3/gallon.

KMan1956, all three new vehicles I have bought have gotten better mileage after a break in period. That is normal.

I've only had mine a week, but I'm averaging 19.1 (V8 4x4) with a mix of highway and around town driving. I think part of my good MPG can be attributed to the driving techniques I learned when I had my Escape Hybrid (e.g. don't accelerate too hard from stops, take foot gently off gas when going down hills, etc.). It's all about momentum and how gently you use the gas pedal and brakes. If you want to pound on the accelerator and slam on the brakes, then don't expect over 15 mpg. I've been told that you can get up to 24 MPG on the highway if you don't drive over 70.....but so far best I could do was 22.7 for 22 miles at 65 mph.

I got 19MPG running 80mph constantly for 150 miles. Nice. However, I'm tired of being dusted by 4 bangers. My friend's stock Camry dusted me today on the way from lunch to work. This is depressing! I think the '07 ST V6 has 3.73 gears? I wonder if they're easy to swap in and if they are strong enough to handle the torque.

The first week I had it, a turbo ricer dusted me and that was expected. But, a stock Camry? I got back to the office and people were laughing at me.

:angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Pat, take the Camry off-roading with you, and see who fairs better. Or drop both vehicles in 16" of snow, and see who has the last laugh! :lol:

Regarding gas mileage, I only get 15-17 in my 01 4.0. This is what I expected to hear about the V8's. I'm thinking that the extra cylinders definately help push the ST along with less effort than the 4.0.

Latest posts