motorcycle helmet

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray McIntireJr

Reaction score
Looking for a decent motorcycle helmet but I don't want to break the bank, under $100 would be great. Any suggestions? Looking on amazon and think I found one with the "modular" face bar.

I've always owned HJC's.. they seem to fit my head well and not break the bank. I have zero experience with modulars though. I've always worn full face fixed helmets.

Try the link below. I got one last year so I could race at Englishtown drags for under $100. AFX makes some helmets with pretty cool graphics for under/around that price. Also GMax has some cool stuff. Take a look, might be worth it. Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
Just watch the expiration dates on used stuff.....

Todd Z

I don't know the first thing about motorcycle helmets, but here's some advice for shopping for bicycle helmets which I suspect would also apply here...

Before you order any helmet from Amazon or any other sight-unseen location, be sure to find a way to try on that model of helmet (or at least that brand of helmet) prior to your purchase. Different bike helmet manufacturers make helmets which are shaped for slightly different shapes of heads, and a brand/model which might fit some of your buddies just great might be awful for your noggin. For example, Bell makes bicycle helmets which are slightly more wide/round than other manufacturers, while Specialized makes helmets which are slightly more narrow/oblong. Several of my friends swear by their Specialized helmets, but the pressure points hit my head in all the wrong locations, so I only wear Bell. And how that helmet fits you, particularly during periods of prolonged wearing, is going to have far more impact in the long run on your satisfaction with the helmet than the price or graphics.

Bills fitting advice is right. Motorcycle helmets also have different shapes, that is one of the reasons I've always stuck with HJC, they just fit my head and don't have any pressure points.

I personally only wear helmets that are DOT and SNELL approved, however DOT is the only requirement in helmet states.

I also wouldn't ride with a helmet I didn't know the history of, they are made for a single accident and if the interior of the helmet has been damaged you won't know and it may not protect you as it should.

Kind of reminds me of my friend...He bought a 15 thousand dollar jet ski which was stolen one week after he bought it. He had the $$ to buy the toy, but didn't want to pay for the insurance so he ate 15g's.

A helmet is like insurance...but for your health and life. If you have the $$ to buy the toy, dont cheap out on insurance (helmet). God forbid you need the helmet one day, do you really want a cheap one protecting you? Could end up costing you much more later.

I have always had good helmets for riding (dirtbikes/snowmobiles). Helmet saved me big time on one occasion. Don't go for the cheapo. I understand times might be rough and $$ might be tight, but dont settle for a cheap lid.

things I never cheap out on - tires, brakes, and HELMETS.

Do you really want to live through a horrible bike crash? Living the rest of your life as a vegetable or as a parapalegic doesn't sound too fun to me.

Hey Gavin, been there done that! With only one leg, I'm havin' a great time. BUT I agree, its the one thing to spend the extra money on. The GMax helmet(full face) that I bought, is well made, fits very well and cost me $80. Fitted with my headset, I can talk on the phone, listen to CD's or radio and talk to the passing truckers. Works for me in cold weather. Otherwise, I wear a full carbon fiber helmet that can stop bullets, get run over by a truck and dropped from 20 stories up and it keeps on working. Bob

Bob, I second the full carbon fiber helmet.

After getting run over while NOT wearing a helmet, I decided that if I was going to continue to ride (which I knew I was) that I would wear a helmet from then on.

I bought a carbonfiberhelmets.com top of the line DOT approved half-helmet. It weighs 14 ounces, feels like I am riding with a ball cap on.

The only problem is that the company got caught faking the test results and got their DOT ratings pulled. They are now out of business and I am left with a $250 non-DOT helmet.

Not a concern to me, but it could get me a ticket if I ever get checked.

I still maintain that it should be YOUR choice. I wear mine because of MY choice, no matter the law.

I still maintain that it should be YOUR choice. I wear mine because of MY choice, no matter the law.

+1

Legislating against stupidity never works. Stupidity catches up with everyone so afflicted, regardless of laws.

I read where 60% of the head injuries happen below the crown of a half-helmet-- and that the only way to get decent protection is from a full-face.

I always ride with a helmet because it is the law here. However, I would probably wear one all the time even if it wasn't the law- it would just seem weird without one. However, i will admit when it is warm I ride with a half-helmet. I also ride often without chaps, gloves, or jacket too.

To me it is a risk- cost/benefit decision. Sure, I might get taken out one day for not having all the protection I should have. I have gone down lots of times on my bikes when I was a kid- usually out in the woods or trying to jump something too fast. I have gotten hurt, but not severely yet. I do know several folks with TBI (traumatic brain injury) and that is not a fun affliction. The more I think about all this, the more I realize I probably need to upgrade my protection.

One protection I will not ride without is eye protection. I always have my goggles or else a face shield when I ride.

I enjoyed riding without a helmet. PA had a helmet law and it was overturned. Our local biker bar had a helmet burning party the night the new law took effect.

However, when the doctor told me to follow his finger and it was the hardest thing I have ever done in my life, I decided to protect my brain (at least a little bit).