Motorcraft Battery

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not to me, BUT I am sure it does and can happen......

Todd Z

Are you talking about the battery that came in the vehicle from the factory, or a battery that was replaced by the dealer?

Either way, the battery was made by Johnson Controls. They also make batteries for Wal Mart, Advance Auto, Auto Zone, Costco, and many other OEM batteries.

Battery failure is usually because of another factor. It is rare when a battery from Johnson Controls is the cause of a failure. The charging system (Alternator) or the manner in which the vehicle is driven can cause a battery to fail. If you start the vehicle up, drive a mile or so to work and shut it down, the Alternator may not have enough time to fully recharge that battery back to optimum charge. You shut the vehicle off, start it up at the end of the day and drive it a mile back home. That would be 2 cycles in which the battery was used and not fully charged.

Vibration is also a big factor in battery life. Using the battery hold down is very important.

I recommend taking your ST to an Advance Auto. When there ask the counter person with the checkered collar (manager) to test your charging system. We all just completed a course on the reasons why and how batteries and charging systems work, and got detailed instruction on how to use our battery/charging system checker. We all attended the training and are supposed to pass the info down to our team members, but the training was just last week, so all the good info may not have made it down yet.

Good Luck!

My original Motorcraft battery lasted a whopping 16 months, I installed an Odyssey, been using them for a while now and have had absolutely no issues whatsoever

In 1977 I bought a JC Penneys lifetime battery. Think I paid 59 or 69 bucks at the time. It has been replaced under the lifetime warrenty twice. First replacement was by Firestone, second by Sears. Apparently they each bought the the rights to continue the warrenty. The battery is now dead. Ya hoo, time for a new warrenty battery.... maybee. I live aproximityly 100 miles one way from a Sears automotive store so I called. I was told no, a life time warrenty is only good for three years. Jeeze, I told them that I am still alive and so is my 37 year old truck. They told me to bring it in and they will "take care of me" I guess when I arrive we'll find out. Just thought I would share.:lol:

Every Motorcraft battery I've owned has lasted 5 to 7 years. Can't say about other brands though.

My oem Motorcraft lasted over 6 years. It wasn't dead when I changed it out last year, I was just worried it would fail at a bad time. And that's with Texas heat.

Mine died at almost four years when somebody rear-ended the Trac. They put in an O'Reilly's 7 year 3 year free replacement battery, which just died and got replaced for free at 2 years 11 months! No accident this time, and I drive 50 miles each way to work 5 days a week. Its 2 miles just to get to the nearest grocery store!

You must have had the BXL65 battery. The BXT series batteries have a 3 year, 100% replacement, then are prorated to 100 months.

This is a timely post! My '07's battery went too low to crank the engine after I was listening to the the radio last weekend for about an hour. I went to move the truck and all I got was a chatter from the solenoid. Hooked up the jumpers to the Subaru and started right up. Put it on the charger and brought it back up.

It starts the truck OK, but I cannot believe just an hour with the radio on (nothing else) would run it down that low.

Thanks for reminding me- I'm gonna stop by and get a load test on the way home.

The main problem I think is these newer cars have a ton of always active computer systems.

I went thru two under warrany on the stang, car sits sometimes for weeks.

Got a deltran batt tender, no more issues.

by bill barber,11/3/2009 17:27 MT

The main problem I think is these newer cars have a ton of always active computer systems.

None of the computers are always active. After you shut the vehicle off a few modules may still be awake but in a low power mode, amp draw on the system will be somewhere around 100 milliamps typically. After a certain amount of time, 45 minutes on Ford vehicles, the modules will go to sleep adn if any lights were left on the bcm will shut them off as well. When this happens total system draw will be somewhere around 0-20 milliamps. If the battery is good the vehicle should be able to sit for at least 2 months with no issues.

is a very common problem on the stang Boards, esp for the poor souls that store the cars during the winter.

batt tender works for me, hook it up and forget about.

It is not uncommon.

Once they begin to malfunction, they tend to go downhill very quickly.

Once they get an internal cell that shorts, they affect the vehicle in very weird ways.

Still running the original battery in my ST. Service start date was 6/19/01. That makes it 8 years and 4 months old. I check the fluid level once a year and put it on a 2 amp trickle charge once a year. Don't know if the trickle charge helps or not, its just something I do. I know its days are numbered, so jumper cables are always on board. I plan on running it untill it dies.

Bill, ditto on the stang. My '94 was the same. Being it was a garaged toy. I had to put a maintainer on the battery. I blame mine on the alarm system, I guess. With the maintainer the AZ gold battery lasted 8yrs.

Latest posts