More Computer Help

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Adams 2

Reaction score
Ok, I got my Dell XPS 200 up and running again. As I am sure is the case with other computer users, it seems that my computer runs hot. I know they make case coolers for computer but I haven't seen any for the small XPS 200 case. Are there any XPS 200 owners out there that have done any kind of cooling upgrade to XPS 200? If so, please post it up!

Dan,

I wouldn't worry about adding additional cooling. Yes it will be hot inside but that is fine unless you are overclocking it. Just make sure the keep the vents clear of dust and you will be fine. I believe the XPS 200 is a BTX design which allows better cooling with less fans/noise.

One thing you can do is check for a BIOS update in case Dell made changes to the fan behavior.

George

George,

I am not overclocking it, mainly because I don't know how to do such a thing, LOL! I always make sure the vents are clean. I guess it would defeat the purpose of the internal fan to place a fan on the outside blowing in, huh? Also, how hard is it to change the processor? I was considering changing to an Intel Core 2 Duo processor for it but don't even being to know the part # to look for or how to swap it out. Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:

Some computers come overclocked from the factory. Is this a recent problem Dan or has the computer always ran a little hot?

No, I wouldn't say it has always run a little hot. It's not like it is shutting down or anything. I would just like to keep it cooler to prevent any future issues with it.

Most importantly is to keep the vents clean and clear of dust. I would recommend cleaning the fans inside every few years. (more often if it is easy to do)

To change the CPU you would have to find the specs on the motherboard and then start researching what CPUs will work with that motherboard.

There are little fans that fit into one of your existing empty slots. It blows air out of the computer. Hope this helps a little.

It won't hurt to have air pulled in with another fan. You can have a 50/50 split of fans pulling in/blowing out. I would suggest something like 40in/60out especially if it's in a cool environment. Try to eliminate air flow obstructions in the case by zipping wires, etc... As mentioned, dust bunnies can increase temps by reducing air flow more than people think.

Dan,

You may be able to install a Core 2 Duo processor but it depends on the motherboard. You can check on the net or even give Dell a call and ask them if it is compatible. Changing the processor is one of the harder things to do in a computer. You need to make sure it is compatible and also that all the voltages and settings are correct. You also want to make sure the thermal grease between the processor and the heat sync is done correctly. If you are not totally comfortable doing it you are better off having someone else do it for you.

I know others mentioned the slot fans but because you have a mini tower those will not fit. They also take up a slot in the back and I think they are all used on the 200.

What are the specs of your computer?

George

Dan,

Dell does not over-closck any of the computers from the factory.

If you are sure that you are having an overheating problem, the cpu fan may be clogged with dust and may need to be cleaned or replaced.

The other option if your little computer has an expansion slot for a PCI card,etc, places like Tiger-Direct sell a cooling fan that fits in the empty card slot and gets power from the edge connector. Basicly it's a plug in fan.

...Rich

Latest posts