More 2007 Pics

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well George i respect your opinion but i do love my sST.... but i just think Ford are famous of spending alot of time on the exterior than they interior

:( Not very impressed! The concept truck had me drooling, but this one has me crying. I can't believe they slapped the Explorer front end on there. I must have missed that. I really hope the new Explorer front end gets a face lift soon, because it's awful. It's NOT truck like, and it's NOT Ford like. Not even American like!

All this time I thought Ford was listening to what WE had to say.

I'm getting close to paying off my 01 ST, and I know I won't have payments for sometime to come. Like Kale D said, I'd take mine over this new one any day. Especially if it means no more payments!

I like the interior better than the exterior. Spartan to me, means uncluttered. I don't like a lot of clutter on the dash -- especially in a TRUCK! :D

Ford has been selling 60K Sport Tracs each year and most of them have not had any incentives or rebates to help push them out of the showrooms.

That simply means they have found a sucessfull product, so why should they mess it up with a bunch of styling changes? The redesign kept many of the styling ques that make the Sport Trac uniquely identifiable and yet updated it to fit closer to the existing Explorer styling and add more features not found in the older models.

The concept vehicle was just that a concept and was not very likely to make it to production. Things like no door handles, and the vents in the fenders may have looked very sleek, but were not very practical for a street vehicle, and added a lot of cost to the vehicle.

I do think the IRS will limit the 2007 Sport Trac's off road capability, only time will tell if that translates to less sales. I think Ford will lose some sales to the Off Roading crowd, but will gain customers from the street truckers due to the 293 HP V8 and increased 6300 lbs towing capacity.

I'm not crazy about the big chrome grille, or the taillights, but the interior is a major improvment as well as the overall lower, wider stance.

...Rich

Who will bet someone is going to paint the crome grill something other then crome? If I were to buy a new one, even though I doubt that will happen, I would paint the grill something other then crome. Heck, bright pink would be better looking then that crome is.

Tom

I'll voice my opinon as well, because the more Ford sees that they didn't get the '07 right from the mouths of consumers, the more likely they'll be to fix the problems.

As with others, the chrome grille needs to go. Make it satin aluminum like what the Mariner has. Remove the cross bars while you're at it, the diamond pattern of the concept was fine.

Taillamps...eck. At least darken or "smoke" them, at least make them look different then the F150's.

Add a motif. Although I think it's too late for that now, but from the pics, I see no recurring pattern. That was one of the neat little things with the current ST, the repeating hexagons. The front grille, step bar pad, rear step pad, the rubber flooring, even the speaker grilles and grip on the steering wheel all had these little hexagons. It wasn't overdone and added a sense of flow and togetherness to the vehicle.

Mainly, this vehicle isn't unique enough. See the current ST from the front, you know what it is (although the occassional mistake for a Sport is easy), see it from the side, you know what it is, see it from the rear, once again, you know what it is. The 07 is an Explorer from the front, and F150 from the rear. Only in profile is it unique. Sure a V8 is nice and we've been critical about the lack of a V8, or power, around here, but we've always have liked how different and unique we were. Driving the '07, we're just a confused buyer who can't settle between an Explorer or an F150, and that's not what we want.

Last edited by a moderator:
I look at it like I do the new Expedition, and the new Explorer, and the Expeditions and Explorers before those, and the new F-150 and its predecessor - it'll grow on me.

When I had my second generation Explorer, I thought the fronts of the 01 Sport and Sport Trac were ass-ugly. They changed so much. Over time, I liked the front end. I never liked the stubby stature of the Sport, but the Sport Trac was a great looking vehicle. I suspect the same will occur with the new Trac.

Progress is inevitable. I was a 4x4er before the Trac. With my 2nd gen, I thought the IRS Explorer would kill the line. Who the hell wants an IRS vehicle? Apparently, most Americans. Those who wanted a solid axle bought used. Check out www.explorerforum.com's best trail rigs - either they are used vehicles or older vehicles in the hands of the first owner.

This change won't kill the Trac. There's too much right - advanced navigation, power, new style, all while still containing the Explorer face (Explorers sell), and the almost-familiar Trac looks.

I may not like it now, but I will in the future. Like change, it's inevitable.

However, I agree with you, Tom - that chrome grill is ill-placed. Either color it or do something different.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dunno Adam, selling all you can make of a vehicle without adverts or incentives is pretty impressive, and the ST didn't need a "me too" front end, or rear, to do that...

Ugh...

I dunno, Im undecided on this new ST.

The SVT Model that has been going around the internet for aged had me SOOO worked up on the release of the 07 ST. But now that I see without having a full metal fabrication (or fibreglass) you dont get anywhere near that with the new ST.

The looks are so incredidably plain. Its very, very boring to look at. I definately like the look of my 01 ST better than this new 07.

The interior seems much nicer, but I noticed that the floor is no longer the rubber, with the mats, one of my favorite things about the currect ST. Also, without every option in the dash, it looks very spread out and ugly looking. Unless you get the nav, and upgraded audio system.

But beneath the looks, I like that its wider, its longer, its more powerfull with the v8, integrated tow hitch, nicer wheels...

I think, like others, that I can spend a couple thousand dollars on my 01 ST, and have it looking nicer, and running better than the new 07. Engine mods, etc will give you close to the same amount of power, and better performance.

I admit I had higher expectations looking at the SVT ST for months as my screensaver, maybe I was just too in love with that look, and seeing the actual 'for sale' model was a huge let down.

Tiger,

Your analogy of an Explorer front and an F-150 rear is pretty accurate and probably just what Ford was looking for. I would like to see the Sport Trac move further away from the Exlporer identity but the Sport Trac was born from Explorer roots.

I think aftermarket parts for the Sport Trac will come a little faster for the 2007 than they did for the 2001 Sport Tracs. I think you will find a lot of replacement grilles and taillights for the new Sport Trac within 6 months of it's initial release.

...Rich

Honestly I don't think people want an IRS that much. The Jeep Grand Gherokee, Chevy TrailBlazer, Dodge Durango, Nissan Pathfinder, Toyota 4Runner share one thing in common. A solid rear axle. The Explorer is the only one with the IRS. Because the Explorer is number 1 selling does not mean it is because it has the IRS.

Tom

I like it. It's important to realize that Ford it trying to style a vehicle to appeal to the broadest possible customer base. It's also a no-brainer that styling cues from the highly successful Explorer, and F-150 lines would wind up in the ST. I for one am not going to be in the market for a new vehicle anytime soon (my 01 only has 59k, and I drive vehicles 10+ yrs), but if I were, the new generation ST would be on my list to shop.

Although, with gas prices the way they are, I doubt I would end up buying one. Where's the hybrid?? Sure, I used to wish my 01 came with a V-8, but right now, I'm glad that it didn't....

I'm okay with the spartan look but, I bought the Sport Trac because to me it did the best job of combining the elements of a bunch of vehicles. If I wanted a utility truck, I would have bought a utility truck and not expected it to come with all of the toys. With the Sport Trac I have room in the interior to use it for a lot more, the size to make it convenient for an everyday vehicle, so give me to toys. Small issue though it may be, if they don't do stereo controls on the steering wheel I wont buying another one. Also, give me the NAV package, that stuff is dirt cheap now. I'm even okay with the grille, though I hope they offer it in flat black as well.

2007 is pefect for me, because I'll be done paying for my '04, I was excited about the Adrenalin, except for the drop in ground clearance, but they better get a lot more good stuff inside as well.

Latest posts