Moonroof

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well worth it.... and unlike other Ford vehicles the sunroof on the ST is NOT CUT in the roof.... it is built in and much better and cleaner install in my opinion...

Todd Z

I agree the factory oem is a nice unit. But I say no. The one on wifes '01 escape leaked. It wasnt pluged drains. Thay replaced it under warranty. It started leaking again after the warranty. I sealed it with rtv and disconnected the switch.

The one on her '08 escape is leaking now. Out of warranty. It is her problem now, we are divorced. I tried to talk her out of both. I have had them in the past. They do get leaks and mechanical problems. Your choice though.

I will take a solid roof any day.

I don't like my moonroof because it reduces the front seat headroom. I'm 6'-3" and my head rubs on the headliner.

Next truck I get won't have a moonroof. I want more headroom!

You will absolutely LOVE it. I had one on my '96 explorer and never had a problem. Even rolled it and not even a crack. Didn't get one with the trac but will never buy another vehicle without one! :grin:

Ditto. Solid roof means better body stiffness, less gross weight, lower center of gravity and one less thing to fail.

Body stiffness perhaps.

Gross weight? What does it add? 25 pounds to a two ton vehicle?

Lower center of gravity? Due to the 25 additional pounds?

Shoot, every time I carry my kayaks I add 50 pounds to the roof. Going around tight curves and in heavy traffic I never felt like the ST suddenly lost all stability and was going to roll. :D

Adam, I'm mainly a performance car guy. I got my ST after my winter car got totalled, and I decided to take that opportunity to get something that would keep me safer from the road-raging SUV and light truck drivers that dominate the highways these days, and also have AWD since I've moved to a place that has more snow, and a lot less snow removal.

To a performance car guy, 25 pounds is significant. To a performance car guy, the weight of a feather is significant. And my kind will go around finding every feather that we can take off the weight of the car. That is our way (he said solemnly).

To me it's not about not crashing while driving at the limit. My ST is far from a sports car, and I'd never try to drive it like it was. But in an emergency where 25 pounds was the difference between life and death, I'd be thrilled to not have the moonroof that I don't use anyway.

Remember that I'm not some rabid right-wing politician trying to force the world to bend to my will. If you want a moonroof, I support your choice 100%. I just wish that my ST didn't have one. But I'm not losing any sleep over it.

:btddhorse:

Last edited by a moderator:
When I don't feel like my car is fast enough, I look for more power. It's a losing battle when you're driving a '69 Cougar and trying to lose weight.

If at all possible,,,, I will never own a vehicle that does not have a moonroof. I use mine all the time and have enjoyed them for years..

When I don't feel like my car is fast enough, I look for more power. It's a losing battle when you're driving a '69 Cougar and trying to lose weight.

FYI one of those cable TV car shows is airing a project using an early Cougar. I think it's a rerun, but it's a must see for a Cougar owner.

Adam, I'm mainly a performance car guy. I got my ST after my winter car got totalled, and I decided to take that opportunity to get something that would keep me safer from the road-raging SUV and light truck drivers that dominate the highways these days, and also have AWD since I've moved to a place that has more snow, and a lot less snow removal.

Gotcha. I was just a bit thrown by the lighter weight. :)

I used to install the roofs in the Tauruses at Atlanta Assembly plant. I preferred the moonroofs because of the extra reinforcement in the roof for the mooonroof assembly. There was a weight increase about 25-30 lbs over a regular roof but I liked the extra safety feature.

As Coastie said, I use the moonroof feature all the time and enjoy it. Every car that I get will have a factory moonroof in it.

Y'all have a good one

Bob

Forgot to mention, I love my moonroof. I use it all the time. It compliments the rear window great.

FYI one of those cable TV car shows is airing a project using an early Cougar. I think it's a rerun, but it's a must see for a Cougar owner.

If you're talking about the one on Gear TV, I'm aware of it and have it bookmarked online. Just haven't watched it, yet. Thanks for looking out.

I record eight out of the dozen or so how-to shows on The Speed Channel and Spike TV. And Top Gear on BBC America, of course! :supercool: It's gotta be one of those eight. One of these days I'll get around to their websites...

:haveabeer:

Latest posts