moonroof

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Without a doubt. I love my moonroof. Had one since 1991 and love it.

We have a 2000 Explorer WITHOUT one and it drives me nuts.

Tom

I did not have one in my 03..... Didnt care....

Hated the roof in my 04....

LOVE the roof in my 2010.. !!!

GO for it !!

Todd Z

I wouldn't have one again. I never use mine, and I need the roof area as a ground plane for my comms antennas. The rear window is enough for me.

Had one in my old mustang and it was a pain in the butt to take off and put back in. didn't have one in any other car until my trac....MUST HAVE IN EVERY CAR I DRIVE AGAIN!!!!!:love::love::love:

Just my opinion but... I like a sunroof better. It feels more like a real roof above me, and if the sun is hot, I can shut it. Having the ability to open moon or sun is great in the evenings when it isn't so hot. Ed

Have one in my '05 and love it. Like the one touch auto open (with or without the shade in place). Like the automatic Ford setting to 90% (no noise). Like the ability to open it 100% at slower speeds or with all widows open including the rear. Its like a convertible truck -NEAT!

:supercool:

Gotta have the sunroof. :supercool:

Sure you loose 2 inches of front headroom, not that such matters, but you gain infinite room, the wind tunnel effect with the rear window, a way to relieve driving fatigue, and it's just infinitely useful.

By "moonroof" you mean like the optional accessory for the STs, right? The pane of glass that can be covered, retracted, or elevated to a 30 degree or so angle, depending on your preference? With auto open...

I agree that it is a must have with the roll down rear window. Works great with the windows up or down and alot less road noise with the roof open and rear window down with side windows up and still great ventilation.

Had one in an old Celica years ago and after the novelty wore off, I ended up hardly ever opening it.

Of course I always drive with the windows closed to take advantage of the AC and mute the wind and road noise. On any cars after that, I have never wanted one nor missed it when I was without.

From my understanding, this is the difference between a moonroof and a sunroof.

A moonrof is power operating. It either opens by sliding back or tipping up. It usually has a shade that will block the sunlight.

A sunroof is a manualy operated "skylight". It can be removed, but must be done by hand at a stop. It is cheaper than a moonroof, but can be expensive for what you get.

Those that said they like a sunroof better, why do you like a manualy operated roof over a power operated one? You rather pull off under a bridge to replace it if caught in a rainstorm or do you like the lack of a sliding sun shade?

Tom

What's the difference between a sunroof and a moonroof?

"Sunroof" is the generic term used to describe an operable panel in a vehicle roof which can let in light and/or air. "Moonroof" is a term created by Ford in the 70s, yet is now used generically to describe glass panel inbuilt electric sunroofs.

"Sunroof" is the term originally used to describe a metal panel that would only allow light or air in when opened. A "moonroof," on the other hand, is a glass panel that can allow light in even when it is closed (provided, of course, you slide back that nifty fabric-covered panel to expose the glass).

True sunroofs, those made just of metal, appear to have gone the way of 8-tracks in automobiles, and these days, most "sunroofs" are really "moonroofs" -- panels of tempered glass, usually tinted, that tilt up to allow a flow of air, or slide back into the roof entirely, giving the car occupants a brief but tantalizing glimpse of life in a convertible.

IMHO at least 90% of it is sheer marketing hype, like "pre-owned" and "executive driven" in place of "used". The rest is probably just coincidental.

Those that said they like a sunroof better, why do you like a manualy operated roof over a power operated one? You rather pull off under a bridge to replace it if caught in a rainstorm or do you like the lack of a sliding sun shade?

Just playing Devil's advocate, but it doesn't take much to stall the motors on the power operated ones, and the plastic tracks are flimsy. I'd hate to have one get stuck and/or blow a fuse during a downpour. Having that extra 4" or so of lost headroom back would be nice as well. Then there's the access panel in my T-Bird that falls down and scares me to death on a regular basis, no matter how many times I replace the plastic fasteners.

Having that extra 4" or so of lost headroom back

A sunroof gives you infinite headroom though. Reminds me of the Canyonaro ep of The Simpsons... Anyhow... Even with 4 more inches I still wouldn't be able to get that last bit out of those quart sized bottles without a straw, sans skylight.

Since you're playing Devil's Advocate, I figure I'd shout a retort at the Devil lol.

Both my 2001 ST and the wife's 2006 Lincoln have a factory Moonroof. Neither has ever leaked, stuck, stalled, or blown a fuse. Both work flawlessly and quietly. I also enjoy having the Moonroof and the rear window in the ST in the "vent" position. As Doug stated, even with the windows up it is excellent ventelation, and very quiet at highway speeds.

Get the Moonroof IMO.

Like Dave, I have never had a "flimsy track" go bad nor a motor ever stall. I have never had a moonroof leak. My moonroof has never failed to open or close.

At 110,000 miles, my moonroof still works like the day I got it.

Tom

Latest posts