Monroe Reflex or Sensa-Trac?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lance Cann

Reaction score

Hello Everyone,

I am getting tired of my 2004 trac bobbing side to side over the smallest bumps and want to replace the stock shocks with something to minimize this issue. I have read on this forum that the reflex are very good, but no one carries them around here. I can get the truck sensa-trac and they are about $10 each cheaper than the reflex. So my question is, are the reflex really that much better than the sensa-trac's?

Depends what you do with the truck, BUT the sensas are great for road driving and occasionally loading or towing..

the reflexes are a firmer ride great for cornering, towing and off roading..

Todd Z

The truck never goes offroad and I don't tow anything, basically it is used as a car. However, the roads where I live in Canada are not good, very bumpy and lots of potholes. I just want to get rid of that side to side rocking motion when driving over the un-even roads. If the sensa-tracs will do that, then I will probably go with them.

I have the Sensa-tracs and like them. I didn't want stiff shocks, just good ones. Mostly road driving with occasional offroad and towing. Huge improvement over the stock ones, although I'm about to replace them for the 1st time(51,000 miles later).

I went best of both worlds, Reflex in the front & Monroe Air Shocks in the rear. I keep the rear shocks at 70PSI normally but I push the PSI to 130 or so when I have to haul dirt mulch or stones & the occasional towing to keep the rear from sagging. When at 70psi the ride is firm. She corners well.

HUGE difference from the OEM shocks!

Rancho RSX. Same as reflex in design and funtion. Silicone rod sleeves and poly bushings.

Both made by Tenneco..

I drive almost exclusively on-road and I love my reflexes, but compared to softer shocks they make the small bumps seem bigger and the big bumps seem smaller.

What I mean is that because they're stiffer they're better at absorbing big bangs but do transmit a fair amount of little stuff through to the driver.

As long as you're ok with feeling a bit more of the road, you'll love how they handle in corners and how they tackle bigger bumps. (like the potholes you're describing, I imagine.)

Nik- Removing the spare tire will make the R & R a more "pleasant" experience. ;)

Definitely worth your efforts. Should be the FIRST UPGRADE on a stock ST.

Enjoy your "new" ride. EE "X-Spec" Rear Sway Bar next? JUST DO IT. Haven't seen a negative yet, on this AMAZING upgrade. (RSB)

Last edited by a moderator:

I Put reflex's on the front today and OMG WHAT a difference! Anyone that is reading this that has stock shocks on their trac, you NEED to do this! I can't wait to get the back ones done, may not be till spring though now that it is getting cold outside.

Nik- I've seen mixed reviews replacing the stock 4 X 2 FRONT Sway Bar for the wider diameter 4 X 4 stock FSB. (Caymen)

Personally, I'm going to remove all doubt and buy the Addco/Zabteck 737 from Zabteck, when my budget allows.

If you do upgrade, it is REQUIRED to change the REAR first, for safety reasons. (Ask Todd)

BTW, Zabteck has the BEST price on line for the the FRONT Sway Bar, by at least $40.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts