Mods you WOULD NOT do again

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt DeFina

Reaction score
OK, I saw a post like this on an expedition forum I frequent and thought i'd bring it up to our group for some discussion.

If nothing else it may benefit others in the forum in making some modification decisions.

Me, i'm not sure i'd do the Wheel spacers again, due to the trimming needed as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
20" rims... i was talked into them with a good price i think i would have been happy with 18" rims.

5" x 7" speakers.. rather have te 6.5" rounds...

Hmmm... Probably aftermarket chrome wheels that I purchased for my f150.

I'm going to try the DMH e-cutout again. This time with the 4 yr warranty. Purely for the fun factor and sound. There are no performance gains , at a usefull speed or rpm, with it.

20" wheels

air intake

headers(on a stock motor)

any ignition upgrade (on a stock motor)

replacing perfectly good factory speakers (while still having factory stereo)

I live right across from the ocean and no chrome product will last in that environment. Even the S/S shafts of my golf clubs(stored in garage) are pitted. Bob :angry:

l1tech, yea i saw many people on the other thread mention the K&N intake as something they would not do again, due to oil fouling the MAF sensor. I haven't had that problem yet though..

Only 1...

Headers on my ST........

All the others I simply enjoy working on vehicles so They all stay... LOL

Todd Z

hmm.... im pretty happy with all my mods...

I would not let the last person to tint my wheels to do so again tho...

i gotta get them redone -.-

looks like :throwup:

I had a K&N drop in filter on my 2001 and 2003 Sport Tracs and never had an issue with oil getting on the MAF.

What I did notice was a lot of people posting here saying that they soaked the K&N filter in oil and then let it sit on newspaper overnight to drain.....That's way too much oil and is probably the main cause of their MAF getting contaminated with oil.

The K&N filter only requires cleaning and oiling every 50K miles. The instructions indicate to apply an even coat of oil on the top surface of the pleats and let it soak in for 20 minutes. If you follow those instructions you will not saturate the filter and have to let it drain on newspaper overnight.

I think most of the people who were having MAF contamination issues were probably being anal and cleaning and oiling their filters every few months...which K&N does not recommend and that voids their 1 million mile warranty.

Every few months I would shake/knock off any debris stuck on the surface of my filter, and would wipe out the air cleaner box.

Never regretted any mods I made to my either of my Sport Trac's

...Rich

My only regret is not getting the AVS body molded running boards. They went out ofproduction before the '05 came out. Shame ford didnt adopt them. Looked better thaan the sore thumb they used.

One big regret was These spark plug wouldnt fire..

[Broken External Image]:

No regrets on other mods.[

Latest posts