Modify Rear Window switch

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kurt Hertel

Reaction score
Hey does anyone know if it is possiable to convert the stupid re-window switch that either vents, goes all up, or all down, to a normal window switch where i can choose how high or low it goes?

Yes.....

1 member here did it...

Todd Z

Hey does anyone know if it is possiable to convert the stupid re-window switch that either vents, goes all up, or all down, to a normal window switch where i can choose how high or low it goes?

That stupid switch might save the life of someone you love.

You have family riding with you. You modify the switch to make the window at any position you want. Sweet!

Your family is sitting with one in shotgun and three in the back.

You are sitting at a traffic light and some moron texting on thier cell phone rear ends you.

As the passenger sitting in the middle gets their head thrown back into the back window. The glass level is right below thier head. When thier head hits, thier nexk is snaped. They die. Even worse they are confined to a wheelchair.

Such a stupid switch, damn Ford and thier stupid switch!

Tom

nevermind the middle seat's headrest ;)

to be honest, Im perfectly fine with the factory settings. I like it as is.

Tom,

Did someone pi$$ in your corn flakes this morning? You snapped at me for asking a simple question on another thread, and here you bit ST Sails head off. What's the deal man. Calm down.

Rocks

Oh! Didn't know that. Kinda seems dumb they didn't put one there before! Mine is 2003 so I just assumed they are all like that

I believe that beginning in 2003, the Fed gov't began mandating that all seats have some sort of passive head restraint. That's why the middle headrest didn't show up until 2003.

I am not aware of anyone who has converted their back window to stop at any positioon.

I don't think it can be done, and if it can it would be very difficult. Part of the problem lies in the fact that the logic is not in the switch but in the motor. The window motor is a digital stepper motor and has a circuit board attached tat controls the 16 steps that the motor travels through It may be simple if you can figure out what the circuit board is doing, or perhaps change the motor for a conventional window morotr but that may be harder than it looks.

Ford claims that the window positioning is a safety issue ? I'm not sure I buy that, but they did put a lot of trouble and expense into that bak window when a cheap conventional window motor and switch would have been sufficient.

...Rich

Ford claims that the window positioning is a safety issue ?

Doesn't seem like a safety issue to me... Toyota has offered a multi-position capable rear window in the Tundra for several years.

I agree with Rocks - we all understand that everyone's opinion is valid - we really do - but - do you have to be so condescending when expressing it?

I'm sure I'm gonna get an ear full on this one...

Bracing myself...:unsure:

Sorry if I sound like I am biting ST Sails head off.

He does have a 2002 Trac like I do, so I know he does not have the center head rest.

Sometimes telling someone else why something is the way it is gives them reason why it is that way.

A multi position switch would be awesome. Is it enough to jepordize someone life or health over it?

Never in a million years.

Here is why it is that way and here is your warning.

Why don't we mount our gas tank on the front or rear bumper? Is that unreasonable to even consider that as a mounting place for the fuel tank?

Seriously, we demand safefy as a society.

Why do we want to circumvent it?

Tom

Seriously, we demand safefy as a society.

Why do we want to circumvent it?

I don't think the ST Sails idea was to circumvent safety when the idea was proposed. I think it was a fair inquiry and it's good that you pointed out the Safety aspect to help everyone understand why it was done that way in the first place.

Well Tom thank you very much for your concern.... i didnt think that you were biting my head off at all. I understood were you were coming from... And yes sometimes it is better to explain why you have your opinion.... it answers the question of "What is this guy thinking?".... So its all good

Now my points.... I see and understand why it is a saftey issue. But right now i have subwoofers that are taking up the back seat of my car so nobody is going to be sitting back there for a while... secondly.... I reason that I need it to go up to w/e level I want it to is because, As the alias suggests, I sail alot and therefore are carrying large sails all across town... sometimes its rainy and I dont want to get the inside of my car wet ((these sails cant fold and fit in the rear bed so the go into the rear window and up to the passenger seat)) Also the sails like to flop around sometimes in the breeze and I wish I could just pinch them in place.

Now as for the safety...When I do the modification, I will know to make sure that, if I ever have passengers in the rear of the car, to have the window up, down, or vented... so that there head doesnt hit the edge of the window.... Thanks to Caymen

Now who knows the easiest way to reach A: The rear Motor.... B: the circuit board that controles the window

TrainTrac,

Take it up with Ford, they said it was a safety issue, not me. In the early Sport Tracs there was no rear middle seat headrest and Ford claimed that in a crear end ollision some one could be beheaded or sustain sever neck inuries if the window was in the wrong position?

So it matters not if you think it was a safety issue. Ford thought it was and put a lot of money into the design of the motor and switch to insure that there were only three possible settings.

...Rich

Sheeeshh... people seem to be taking things way too personally around here over the last few days.:blink:

Rich, my comment wasn't meant as a personal attack toward you. I know that you didn't come up with the "safety issue" line of reasoning. I was merely commenting on the perplexity of that answer from Ford (not you) regarding the design of the window when a competitor (Toyota) was able to accomplish what ST Sails was asking about on two very similar vehicles.

Latest posts