Modern kids' names

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark K 2

Reaction score
Kid in Brooklyn named Antiq just got killed (sounds like "antique").

Just had a pediatric patient named DeBree. I asked mom what her name was and she said "debris." I spelled it "debris" and she blew a gasket at me.

What the hell happened to names like Brandon, Kelly, Nathan, and Samantha?

Friend just sent me this.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/R9TWt_9ARrg?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UaU9vmL8i3Y?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Friend just sent me this.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/R9TWt_9ARrg?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UaU9vmL8i3Y?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Video 1, @ 2:01: What is the sex of the person speaking?

The books behind the presenter looked like they were in a library. If they were, that's a really cheap way to do the "look smart by having rows of books behind you" schtick.

The craziness of the names is mind-boggling (Also mind-boggling that the presenter didn't denounce the black panther movement).

Actually, I always thought the word "debris" should be spelled differently. As it is currently spelled, it looks like the term you would use for a circumcision reversal. :)

339aafdf0e632e8f667ed6b734518b9c.jpg

No way!

:bwahaha::bwahaha::bwahaha::bwahaha::bwahaha:

That kid is going to grow up a real winner. I'm pretty sure of it.:bwahaha:

Actually, I'm not sure which is worse--names like those, or some of the crazy but seemingly more "normal" names some people are giving their kids. There's a family in my kids' school whose last name is "Cooper". Their daughter's "normal" name? "Minnie". No, I'm not kidding--she's "Minnie Cooper".

A college classmate of mine was "Crystal Kleer". A family I knew growing up had five kids--three girls and two boys, in that order. Their names were April, May, June, Julius, and August.

I'm sure we all know more like this. So--is that better or worse than a truly made-up name?

I heard one yesterday at the grocery store and chuckled to myself thinking of this thread. I can't think of it right now but hope it comes back to me. It was another made up name. Wish I had heard the names of the other five in tow.

Last edited by a moderator:
On this topic, an ongoing discussion with my wife has been the name of a son should we have one. We're currently trying (awesome btw:grin:).

I am Hugh Maize Darnley III, same exact first, middle and last as my father and grandfather. The middle name is just plain stupid, I know. We somewhat agreed to use the name Hugh Mayes and go by the name Mayes. She says that would require being the IV. I disagree and say we can make the name whatever we want and a suffix would be unnecessary. She now doesn't want to use Hugh at all. I don't care what the middle name is, within reason, and if we use Hugh as the first like I'd prefer, he will go by the middle name. I just want to keep my name going as it has been established as a family name and is not common.

She wants to use James since it's a family name on her side. I'd say Hugh James and going by James would be the best compromise. Mayes was actually her suggestion. I only want Hugh in the name, couldn't care less about losing the dumb "Maize" name but Mayes kinda grew on me.

1. Would the IV be required if it's Hugh Mayes?

2. Is Mayes a dumb name?

3. Would the IV be required if it's Hugh James?

Hugh, just curious, is there any "back story" to either the "Hugh" or the "Maize" with your grandfather? Was there some meaning behind it to your great-grandparents, or was it "just chosen"?

Regarding whether the "IV" is required, I'm pretty sure there's no requirement. You can name him Hugh Maize Darnley IV, or Hugh Mayes Darnley IV, or Hugh James Darnley IV. You can also use any of those without any suffix at all. Or you can even choose to name him Hugh Darnley Jr., or Hugh Darnley VIII, etc. While there's some obvious tradition rules, I don't believe any of them rise to the level or legal requirement.

Speaking of the traditional rules--if you were to follow them, the "IV" would only apply if you name him Hugh Maize Darnley. If you name him Hugh Mayes, or Hugh James, or Hugh Susan, or even Maize Hugh, those traditional rules say "no suffix".

Have you considered "Dont Giva Darnley"?? :banana:

Regarding "Mayes", why not? There's a long history of turning common last names into first names, so this would fall in that line. So go for it--no, "Mayes" isn't a dumb name, even if it sounds a little corny. (Pun intended.)

Seriously, for a middle name--what is your wife's maiden name? There's a long tradition (although it was stronger years ago than it is now) of using the mother's maiden name as the son's middle name. That's how FDR ended up with "Delano" as a middle name--it was his mother's maiden name. If you happen to like that one more than you like Maize/Mayes, it might be something to consider--and I would think it would still make sense to use "IV" with it if you like.

I think the 'IV' would only be appropriate if the exact spelling was used. For any other spelling, or names for that matter, would not call for the 'IV'.

Like Bill V as example, my middle name is my grandmothers (father's side) maiden name.

Hugh, just curious, is there any "back story" to either the "Hugh" or the "Maize" with your grandfather? Was there some meaning behind it to your great-grandparents, or was it "just chosen"?

There is a story to the name Hugh but I don't really remember it. I think Maize was just chosen because it was the "most American" name they could think of. My great grandparents on my dad's side didn't speak English and came here from Scotland via Canada...aka, illegally. My best guess is that someone told them Maize was a "traditional", "native", "American" name in jest and they ran with it. I really can't conceive of any other reason for such a terrible name, lol.

Speaking of the traditional rules--if you were to follow them, the "IV" would only apply if you name him Hugh Maize Darnley. If you name him Hugh Mayes, or Hugh James, or Hugh Susan, or even Maize Hugh, those traditional rules say "no suffix".

I think the 'IV' would only be appropriate if the exact spelling was used. For any other spelling, or names for that matter, would not call for the 'IV'.

That's what I've thought. My wife thinks that if it's Hugh [anything] Darnley, it would "traditionally" require a suffix. I say I get to name them whatever I want and if I so choose, I'll skip a few and go straight to Hugh XVI so there's a fighting chance of perceived royalty.:D

Her maiden name is Braziel and sounds like the country of similar spelling. That would work if the first name is not Hugh because we don't want the confusion from my youth where calling out the name got two responses, or three on the holidays. James and Taylor are two names throughout her two sides of the family, respectively (no inbreeding) and she has already decided Taylor for the middle name should we have a girl.

I like Hugh Mayes or Hugh James, either really. The corn has got to go, though, and Hugh has to stay. How many Hugh's have you met in your lifetime? That's why I like it.

Beside Hugh Hefner, I can only quickly think of Hugh (the borg from Star Trek, Second Generation).

The was also a Hugh somebody who was a TV Western star. I just can pin down the last name right now.

Latest posts