Missing something from the driveway??

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still need a microchip for the key to start it. A rock breaks windows pretty easily so entry is not an issue. A tow truck can tow it away.

Tom

Still need a microchip for the key to start it.

From the article:

Another caveat is that the system mainly works for old-fashioned keys, as opposed to newer car keys that contain transponders. But tools already exist for locksmiths or less savory characters to crack the transponder codes.

well if you have one of the new cars with the push button start with no key at all. it might be even harder to do.

just my two cents

:banana:

I think a thief would be better served by one of those lockpick guns that will do the picking automatically for him, if he wanted to get in without brute force and classic methods (slim jim) failed. BTW caymen, a ceramic shard from a spark plug is said to shatter car glass without triggering car alarms.

Failing that, having to shove a widget into a keyhole, run back to his key-cutter machine, and then come back with a newly furnished key to open your door seems like way too much work for a thief.

I dunno if it is great for locksmiths per se, since a key cutter and this widget could let basically anyone set up as an automotive locksmith.

My friend used to have a lock pic kit that used the gun. It would open any standard home door lock in seconds. It is supposed to work on any type of pin and cylinder based lock.

can still take "stuff" out of the vehicle; ipods/gps/etc., gone in no time, no noise, etc. Mall parking lots would be prime territory, theives would have to "franchise" the areas to cut down on the competition.

My brother has one of the new Corvette' and he carries a card or something in his wallet. As he approaches the doors unlock and all he has to do is press the start button. I don't think there is even a key for the ignition? BC

I believe some Lexus have that feature as well. You carry the key in your pocket or purse with remote and when you are within distance the doors automatically unlock and you push the start button. No key in the ignition etc.

Latest posts