Military Ban On Smoking?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Almost 90% of people with type 2 diabetes are overweight.

Is it possible the reason that 90% is overweight is because the diabetis is causing it?

I am not quoting any scientific findings, but you never know what is fact and what is fiction these days. Something else to think about...90% of overweight people are not diabetic.

If only 1% of overweight people are diabetic, there isn't much issue.

Anyone can swing the results the way they want them to.

Tom

No JD, but being gay can lead to aids (analy injected death serum)

and caymen, obiesity, is proven to be the main precursor to diabeties, even you cannot refute that, because it is a fact.

my health insurance rates went up when my company started covering gay partners.

all gay people have the aids..........................

this site amazes me sometimes.

No but investigative stats show that gays are more permissive, by percentage than hetro.

Insurance companies work from stats.

Homosexuals aren't overly permissive, MEN are permissive.. and no straight people ever have backdoor sex.

Since we're spewing stereotypes, old people are detached from reality...

Fast Eddie,

You said "permissive". Just wondering. Did you mean "promiscuous?"

I'm not trying to put words in your mouth, just trying to understand your point.

TJR

No but investigative stats show that gays are more permissive, by percentage than hetro.

Facts...

A ":straight" man is more likely to "play" with a buy than a gay man is. I find this fact offensive since I am a straight man. The first step is not thinking a gay man is some type of sexually perverted devient.

Tom

TJR, you got the right word.

Also when I heard about these stats they did not come a conservetive news source. Regular daily media more than one. About a year ago. I even read about it on the net. I think it was MSNBC.

With that said. There is someone else that has, continued trying to pick a word fights. For about month now. Especialy when I step into these types of conversations. He gets worse. Ill give a hint. He lives in the USA...:lol:

Why you so angry..:huh:

Is it possible the reason that 90% is overweight is because the diabetis is causing it?

Yeah right, being diabetic makes you suck down all those cheesburgers and fries...:)

Many seem to already stereotype those that serve as having lower intelligence and serve because they have few other options (a crock, I know).

Actually, the accuracy of that stereotype varies greatly by geographical region. In most of the country, it is indeed "a crock"--but in some locations, it actually is quite accurate--and in those locations, the reason it is accurate is, ironically, because of the stereotype.

Where I grew up (central, rural Wisconsin), the saying about how any local kids ended up in the military was only-slightly-exaggerated to this:

"If you're smart enough, you go to college.

If you're not smart enough to go to college, then you go to tech school.

If you're not smart enough to go to tech school, then you get a job bagging groceries.

If you're not smart enough to bag groceries, then you marry your sister and take over the family farm.

If your sister is already married to your brother and they already run the family farm, THEN you join the military."

Now don't get me wrong--I now realize how inaccurate that is in most of the country. But when I was growing up, that's what the kids believed--and from my contacts who still live in that region, that's still the case. And because that's how the kids there think, none of the top, or even average, intelligence kids give any possible thought to joining the military; and therefore the only locals who enlist are the lower intelligence or juvie delinquents--which of course only perpetuates the stereotype.

And from my current contacts in the military, such as my brother-in-law (I forget what rank he is in the Marines, but he's done very well, and has had assignments in their national recruiting office), this isn't just a localized thing, but permeates a large portion of the Northern Central Plains--recruitment numbers in that part of the country for all military branches are miniscule in that part of the country when compared to the rest of the country, in large part because of this type of stereotype.

Bill V,

That's a rather detailed way to say that stereotypes are typically based in some observed reality, but then tend to take on a life of their own and feed into and perpetuate themselves.

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
TJR--Yup. :)

I have to suspect that part of the reason this stereotype is so easily able to perpetuate itself in that area is related to the fact that there are so few military bases in the area--and therefore so few opportunities for people to observe actual day-to-day military personnel. When I was there, thanks to the lack of any other source of information, most kids in the region formed their opinions of military members from "Full Metal Jacket", "Apocolypse Now", and all the other military movies of the era (particularly 'Nam movies) which portrayed the "typical" military person to be someone who was simply not intelligent enough to avoid the draft.

Latest posts