Military Ban On Smoking?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrainTrac

Reaction score
We've a lot of Active Duty Service Members and Veterans on this site. What do you think about this? I'm a non-smoker, so my only take on it is that it might result in a more productive work day due to less time taken for "smoke breaks". I knew guys who took up smoking in boot camp simply to get "smoke breaks", while the rest of us non-smokers were expected to continue working/training.:angry:

Would be a huge culture change for the Armed Forces.

Later on in my career, I began taking "non-smoke breaks". Figured if it was OK for the smokers, then I could have a little screw-off time too.:p

Ban on tobacco urged in military

By Gregg Zoroya, USA TODAY

WASHINGTON Pentagon health experts are urging Defense Secretary Robert Gates to ban the use of tobacco by troops and end its sale on military property, a change that could dramatically alter a culture intertwined with smoking.

Jack Smith, head of the Pentagon's office of clinical and program policy, says he will recommend that Gates adopt proposals by a federal study that cites rising tobacco use and higher costs for the Pentagon and Department of Veterans Affairs as reasons for the ban.

The study by the Institute of Medicine, requested by the VA and Pentagon, calls for a phased-in ban over a period of years, perhaps up to 20. "We'll certainly be taking that recommendation forward," Smith says.

A tobacco ban would confront a military culture, the report says, in which "the image of the battle-weary soldier in fatigues and helmet, fighting for his country, has frequently included his lit cigarette."

Also, the report said, troops worn out by repeated deployments often rely on cigarettes as a "stress reliever." The study found that tobacco use in the military increased after the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan began.

Pentagon spokeswoman Cynthia Smith said the department supports a smoke-free military "and believes it is achievable." She declined to elaborate on any possible ban.

One in three servicemembers use tobacco, the report says, compared with one in five adult Americans. The heaviest smokers are soldiers and Marines, who have done most of the fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan, the study says. About 37% of soldiers use tobacco and 36% of Marines. Combat veterans are 50% more likely to use tobacco than troops who haven't seen combat.

Tobacco use costs the Pentagon $846 million a year in medical care and lost productivity, says the report, which used older data. The Department of Veterans Affairs spends up to $6 billion in treatments for tobacco-related illnesses, says the study, which was released late last month.

Along with a phased-in ban, the report recommends requiring new officers and enlisted personnel to be tobacco-free, eliminating tobacco use on military installations, ships and aircraft, expanding treatment programs and eliminating the sale of tobacco on military property. "Any tobacco use while in uniform should be prohibited," the study says.

The military complicates attempts to curb tobacco use by subsidizing tobacco products for troops who buy them at base exchanges and commissaries, says Kenneth Kizer, a committee member and architect of California's anti-tobacco program.

Seventy percent of profits from tobacco sales $88 million in 2005 pays for recreation and family support programs, the study stays.

Strong leadership could make the military tobacco-free in five to 10 years, Kizer says. President Obama, he says, could set an example for the military by ending his own smoking habit once and for all. Last month, Obama said he is "95% cured" but "there are times when I mess up" and smoke.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a good thing.

Many seem to already stereotype those that serve as having lower intelligence and serve because they have few other options (a crock, I know). Many stereotype smokers as having lower than average intelligence. So, if our military folk were encouraged or regulated not to smoke, and therefore fewer took up or stayed with smoking than it would only help but improve their image.

Now, insert the "Great! They can die for our country but they can't light up!" rant here!

TJR

The military (at least the Air Force) has been kinda leaning this way anyway. We can't walk and smoke in uniform. We can only smoke in designated areas, can't smoke indoors, and Air Education and Training Command banned smoking for all students during the duty day. The student ban is kind of a culture shock to us prior service guys like me, who is used to having a few more liberties as an NCO, to go TDY to a school, and not be allowed to smoke like we can at home station. I for one disagree with the ban, but I am currently a smoker, and started in Iraq.

THIS IS NOT ABOUT SMOKING, THIS IS ABOUT CONTROL.

More crap from those that feel we can't take care of ourselves.

I just want to know when is Obama going to appoint the WIpe your A$$ czar

the article states banning smoking on military property, I can see that.

To even think about a ban in a combat zone will never happen.

When on my two yr asian vacation, 66/67, I smoked 4 packs a day, plus herbals.

never could have done that without smoking materials.

I think it is a good thing for the military and probably needs to be a nationwide ban on smoking everywhere accept your private home. By that I mean, no smoking in public, on the street or in any business.

This may sound harsh, but I am a former smoker who quit 24 years ago. I smoked since I was about 15 and all through my 20 year military career. my wife died of lung cancer 2 years ago and my Only brother also died of lung cancer 17 years ago. To say that smoking only hurst the smoker is not true....Their families and loved ones are also hurt when they are gone.

...Rich

I think it is a good thing for the military and probably needs to be a nationwide ban on smoking everywhere accept your private home. By that I mean, no smoking in public, on the street or in any business.

military???...maybe

on the street???...maybe

in public???...maybe

in any business??? HELL NO!!!!!!!!! You're OK with government dictating what private business can and can't do???

I won't even mention BHO's policies for comparison!

I smoke and I agree it is not healthy. I cannot and will not ever agree to big brother. Including civilian and military. I can agree with ban on smoking in some places. Restraunts, indoors, etc.

If tobacco remains legal. You have no right limiting me to my private home. My taxes paid for the same streets and sidewalks you use. I will stand by that even if I quit.

What is next. No big-macs or ice cream.

I get a chill up my spine when I hear people on this board, willing to let big government control us. Especially those in my age group. That should know better, about personal rights. Whether it is bad for you or not.

My taxes paid for the same streets and sidewalks you use.

Not accusing.. but as a whole, then tell all your cig smoking friends to stop throwing their butts out the window/on the ground whatever.

That is my only complaint about smokers.. I don't care if you want to smoke, don't blow it in my face and don't throw your trash on the ground. Other than that, knock yourself out.. and keep government out of everyone's lives.

Not accusing.. but as a whole, then tell all your cig smoking friends to stop throwing their butts out the window/on the ground whatever.

That is my only complaint about smokers.. I don't care if you want to smoke, don't blow it in my face and don't throw your trash on the ground. Other than that, knock yourself out

I wondered how quik that was going to come back.

I dont. But calling them my friends is an accusation. So you think about that next time you or your friends throw somthing on the ground. Dont tell me you never have unless your perfect.:eek:

Smokers waste a lot of time, and they stink. I tolerated them when things were slow but if there were things to be done, I made the put the cigs out and get their a$$es in gear. We don't have time to waste when it comes to mission and saving lives. Just the opinion of an old First Sergeant.

I dont. But calling them my friends is an accusation. So you think about that next time you or your friends throw somthing on the ground. Dont tell me you never have unless your perfect.

friend: supporter: a person who backs a politician or a team etc.; "all their supporters came out for the game"; "they are friends of the library"

not to be confused with

friend: a person you know well and regard with affection and trust; "he was my best friend at the university"

I must be perfect when it comes to this, I'm sure I have other faults but this isn't one of them. I'm the guy that picks up other peoples trash and throws it away because it bothers me that much that people are so inconsiderate.

My wife and i spend 100 bux a week on cigs, (two cartons at 47 plus tax)

when gas hit 5 bux + we curtailed driving.

It would be so simple for the feds to impliment a new edict: we the government of the united states can prove that smoking and smoking related Illness costs you the taxpayers, 100s of millions of dollors (believe me, they can prove it) may be billions.

We the Government can prove that if we can erradicate that burden, you the public will benifit by lowering insurance costs (and i believe that can happen)

make cigs 30 bux a pack, tax them at an extra 20, would i curtail smoking?

Would be than the choice between cigs or food,

TrainTrac, 7/10/2009 13:58 MT

Category - Off-topic

I knew guys who took up smoking in boot camp simply to get "smoke breaks", while the rest of us non-smokers were expected to continue working/training.

I don't know what branch of the service you were in or when you went to boot camp but I was in boot camp in the Army back in 1988 and there was absolutely no smoking allowed...there wasn't even any place to buy them in the px outlet that we were marched to once a week to get essentials. Once I hit AIT it was a different story but still there was no such thing as a smoke break, even when I got to my permanent duty station there was no such thing...not like you needed breaks anyway because there wasn't ever really much to do. All in all I have to say that my military experience was by far the easiest job I ever had...except for that little thing called the Gulf War that I had the pleasure of attending back in 1990-91 and even that wasn't too terribly difficult.

IMO it isn't illegal to posess or smoke cigarettes so why should they make our service men and women not able too...after all they are the ones protecting our freedom, I don't think it's fair to take away theirs

Well Seeing how i am an Active duty soldier, I am an AIT Instructor. There is absolutely NO smoking while in Basic Training, there is supposed to be no smoking either while in AIT as well. but as we all know well, when they think they can get away with something they will do it.

General Order #1 while deployed says no alcohol will be consumed and no sex will be had between unmarried couples.....but yet people still get DRUNK and Females STILL get PREGNANT. Just because there is a ban so something doesnt mean nothing.

I dont agree with the ban and i am a non-smoker. If someone wants to smoke and they still get the job done and they can pass there PT test, then so what.

Squirm, if you need to. The statement is still taken as an acussation. Because of your stereo typing thru association.

Latest posts