Military - Auto purchase question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob Dryer

Reaction score
My wife is getting deployed to Afghanistan is Nov, we're in the market to purchase a new vehicle and I'm trying to find information on whether its worth waiting until she is deployed to do the purchase.

Has anyone done it? What was the savings?

I found http://www.encs.com/ is that the only way to do it? (And they don't do Ford but I'm not totally sold on a Ford anyways :sad:)

Any info would be helpful, thanks.

My buddy did it while he was in England. From what he said, he got it for around cost, with no taxes and Volvo (that's what he bought) shipped it back to the states for him for free when they pcs'd back to the states. He got to order exactly what he wanted and the prices was certainly competitive to what you would get in the states. Hope this helps.

Don't know crap about the original question, but wish your wife well for me. Going to Afghanistan can't be an easy thing. I found out that my unit was tasked somewhere in SW Asia and I might be going from NOV to JAN, turns out that they only needed 3 people from my shop and I wasn't one of them. Maybe next time. What does your wife do?

I would recommed you try the free quote and take that to local dealer. See if they can match it. Also, since it's a purchase through the PX, shouldn't it be tax free?

Volvo has a good deal. When I was in Korea, my girlfriend at the time bought a new car through the military and diplomatic car sales there. She had it custom built to her liking. It was shipped straight from the factory to a dealership in OKC. In the end, she saved about 10 grand on a $50K car. She had perfect credit and even had a 1.9% loan from them. When the Volvo dealership in OKC saw the car, he was drooling, because he never saw one like it before. Through diplomatic car sales, they pulled out all the stops and everything was perfect. Even the owners manual came in a special leather case. Normal ones are in cheap plastic.

The Solders Sailors Relief act is what you are after.

Once a spouse is deployed, it is recognized that the family at home will have a financial difficulty as in most cases, you earn less while deployed as compared to your normal job.

Specific to goods, once deployed, interest rates WILL be lowered to 6% and sometimes less depending on the present rate. So, if you buy it now and then get deployed the rate will lower. If you get deployed and THEN buy it the rate will NOT get lowered as it is assumed you could afford it as you bought it once they/you were deployed.

Clear????

@Mike - She's the Battalion Surgeon for NMCB3 (Doctor for the Navy Construction group..)

@Steven & Bo - thats part of the question from what I read, since it's an "overseas" purchase there is no sales tax, but I read that when you try to register it in your home state, they end up charging tax so unless there is some proof that we would be exempt from that part I'm not sure the taxes matter.

@Coastie - I for sure did not read all the legal jargon that goes in that document, but it looks like it's for Military members in financial distress. Am I missing a section or not understanding? Interest rates are pretty low right now anyways so I'm not sure that has a huge benefit since we won't have the loan for very long.

Quick generics of it..

American Forces Information Service

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

f you're a reserve component service member called to active duty, you're protected by a law that can save you some legal problems and possibly some money as well.

Under the provisions of the Soldiers' and Sailors' Civil Relief Act of 1940, you may qualify for any or all of the following:

Reduced interest rate on mortgage payments.

Reduced interest rate on credit card debt.

Protection from eviction if your rent is $1,200 or less.

Delay of all civil court actions, such as bankruptcy, foreclosure or divorce proceedings.

"Although all service members receive some protections under the SSCRA, additional protections are available to reserve components called to active duty," said Lt. Col. Patrick Lindemann, deputy director for legal policy in the Office of the Undersecretary of Defense for Personnel and Readiness. Most active duty service members are familiar with the provisions of the SSCRA that guarantee service members the right to vote in the state of their home of record and protect them from paying taxes in two different states.

One of the most significant provisions under the act limits the amount of interest that may be collected on debts of persons in military service to 6 percent per year during the period of military service. This provision applies to all debts incurred prior to the commencement of active duty and includes interest on credit card debt, mortgages, car loans and other debts. The provision, Lindemann emphasized, applies to pre-service debts, and the interest rate reduction doesn't occur automatically service members must request it.

Once a service member requests the rate reduction, the creditor must either comply or apply for court relief. The SSCRA puts the burden on the creditor to show that military service has not "materially affected" a member's ability to repay the debt. The court generally grants relief if the creditor can make his case.

Lindemann advised that service members notify lenders of their intent to invoke the 6 percent cap in writing, along with proof of mobilization/activation to active duty and evidence of the difference in the member's military and civilian pay. This could prevent creditors from attempting to challenge interest rate reduction requests in court.

View a brief history of the Soldiers' and Sailors' Relief Act of 1940

The interest rate cap does not apply to federal guaranteed student loans. However, according to Lindemann, the Department of Education has in the past deferred or suspended payments on student loans for reserve component military members called to active duty. Service members should contact their lenders or schools to determine if such a program has been implemented and its eligibility requirements.

Another key provision under the SSCRA protects your dependents from being evicted while you are serving your country. If you rent a house or apartment that is occupied for dwelling purposes and the rent does not exceed $1,200 per month, the landlord must obtain a court order authorizing eviction. This provision applies regardless of whether quarters were rented before or after entry into military service.

In cases of eviction from dwelling quarters, courts may grant a stay of up to three months or enter any other "order as may be just" if military service materially affects the service member's ability to pay the rent. This provision is not intended to allow military members to avoid paying rent, said Lindemann, but rather to protect families when they cannot pay the rent because military service has affected their ability to do so.

Another significant protection under the act relates to civil proceedings. Service members involved in civil litigation can request a delay in proceedings if they can show their military responsibilities preclude their proper representation in court. This provision is most often invoked by service members who are on an extended deployment or stationed overseas. "I would recommend a service member contact the unit or installation legal office immediately if they receive notice of court proceedings against them," Lindemann said. "Civil court proceedings can involve very complex issues and no one should do anything, including requesting a stay of proceedings, prior to seeking legal advice."

To learn more about these or other provisions of the Soldiers' and Sailors' Civil Relief Act, contact your unit or installation legal assistance office.

This one has a specific example of the 6% rule...

Soldiers and Sailors Civil Relief Act of 1940 (SSCRA), a law that protects active duty service members, was recently updated and amended. It's now called the Service members Civil Relief Act of 2003 (SCRA) . Learn about your rights under the SCRA here.

The Service members Civil Relief Act of 2003, covers such issues as rental agreements, security deposits, prepaid rent, eviction, installment contracts, credit card interest rates, mortgage interest rates, mortgage foreclosure, civil judicial proceedings, and income tax payments. It also provides many important protections to military members while on active duty.

To receive protection under some parts of the SCRA, the member must be prepared to show that military service has had a "material effect" on the legal or financial matter involved. Protection under the SCRA must be requested during the member's military duty or within 30 to 180 days after military service ends, depending on the protection being requested.

In many situations, the SCRA protections are not automatic, but require some action to invoke the Act. For example, to obtain a reduction of your pre-active duty mortgage or credit card interest rates, you should send your lender/creditor a written request and a copy of your mobilization orders.

If you think that you have rights under the SCRA that may have been violated, or that you are entitled to be shielded from a legal proceeding or financial obligation by the SCRA protections, you should discuss the matter with a legal assistance attorney or a civilian lawyer as soon as possible.

How does the 6 % interest rule work?

For example, one of the most widely known benefits under the SSCRA and now the SCRA is the ability to reduce pre-service consumer debt and mortgage interest rates to 6% under certain circumstances.

Consider this example: Three months ago Mr. Smith and his wife bought a car for $13,000, paying $1,000 down and financing $12,000 at 9% interest. Last week, Mr. Smith was called to active duty as Staff Sergeant (SSG) Smith. Before entering active duty Mr. Smith earned $42,000 per year. As a staff sergeant with over 12 years of military service he now earns only about $27,000.

Because of the SCRA, SSG Smith may ask the car financing company to lower the interest rate to 6% while he is on active duty because his military service has materially affected his ability to pay since he is earning less money on active duty than before.

SSG Smith should inform the finance company of his situation in writing with a copy of the orders to active duty attached, and request immediate confirmation that they have lowered his interest rate to 6% under the SCRA. The finance company must adjust the interest down to 6% unless it goes to court.

In court, the finance company, not SSG Smith, would have to prove that SSG Smith's ability to pay the loan has not been materially affected by his military service. The 3% difference is forgiven or excused, and SSG Smith need not pay that amount. SSG Smith does need to continue making the monthly payments of principal and interest (at 6%) to avoid his account being considered delinquent. Continuing payments should also avoid any adverse credit reports from the finance company. (See Section 207, SCRA)

Important Note: In some situations civilian employers have agreed to pay the military member the difference between the military pay and the civilian pay earned before the call to active duty. In most such situations, military service has not materially affected the member's ability to pay so it is unlikely that the SCRA 6% interest limitation applies. Of course, if the military members expenses increased (for example, the member must pay for a second apartment at the duty station, or the member's spouse gave up her job to move with him) military service might have materially affected the member and the SCRA 6% interest limit could apply.

But what if instead of buying the car before he came on active duty, SSG Smith left his car at home for his wife and purchased a used car at his duty station. To do so, he borrowed $4,000 at 9% interest. Since SSG Smith took this debt after entering active duty the SCRA 6% interest limit does not apply.

If you think being called to active military service has reduced your ability to meet your financial obligations, contact your nearest legal assistance office to see if the SCRA applies.

Either I'm still not understanding how this effects us or you aren't understanding the situation. Not sure which so here is a more in depth explanation of our situation..

My wife has been active duty for years, this is going to be her first deployment though. We aren't financially burdened by the deployment, in fact if I understand correctly she will be making more money because of hazard pay and tax free status while serving in a war zone.

We don't have a loan that we need a reduced payment on, I'm talking about getting a new vehicle which financing isn't the issue, it's the purchase price that I'm trying to find out if we can get a better deal on along with possibly being tax free..

JD, yes, I did confirm with my buddy that he infact did NOT have to pay sales tax when he bought the car. He has not mentioned anything about having to pay tax within DC when he brought it home and registered it. I will ask him next time I talk to him.

As for the Soldier/Sailor act, well that would not apply in this situation, as it was created to protect soldiers/sailors from financial ruin when having to deploy. Where this would apply for you, is that when your wife does deploy, you could send a copy of her orders to your financial instutions and request that they lower your apr on financed accounts (credits cards, and revolving loans, etc...) to at least 6% or lower (if they choose to do lower), catch is, that it is only good for the period in which she is deployed if they choose to enforce it.

Good luck.

My suggestion would be that you wait until she deploys, have her go talk to the sales rep and get a quote and then for you to get a quote and from here in the states and choose which one works best. If she does order something, it will be tax free and shipped to the dealer closest to you for pickup, you will just need to make sure you have power of attorney to pick it up, since she will be on the financing (assuming she buys it).

The other option would be (as stated above) to have her get a quote and get a dealer to match, which will be hard to do, since they won't waive sales tax, but hey, it never hurts to try.

You NEVER said she was active duty. In most cases, when someone says it is their first deployment they are a reservist being called to active duty.

In your case, it will NOT be a financial burden being deployed. (And yes, you will make more money and it will be tax free as well (in most cases)).

You may be able to do something with the taxes on the vehicle, if so, this is something I have no knowledge on and cannot offer any advice...

If I recall correctly, the Soldier and Sailor Relief Act's reduction in interest rates only applies to debt owed prior to deployment. You can't create new debt and "lock-in" a lower rate. Also after the member returns, the rate goes back to the "normal" rate that was in effect prior to deployment.

Nelson, you are correct..

I mentioned it above, but basically it is assumed that if you take on NEW debt, that you knowingly took on the debt and therefore are not eligible for a decrease on THAT debt..

Latest posts