miles before tranny had to be replaced? when did u?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayson Vagenas

Reaction score
so the tranny went out on my way home. it is now at the ford dealer. thank god i bought the extended warrenty. oh yeah it only had 54000 miles when it went out. it this average? thanks :(

I have owned two Tracs. Took them both to just under 75,000 miles.

Never replaced a single item other than brakes and only once did I do that on one of the Tracs....

Was it luck???? Who really knows...

I never beat the truck up and used nothing but synthetic oil every 7000 miles...

I have 90,000 miles on my 2002 Trac. I change the tranny fluid once a year.

I drive the hell out of it. I have towed trailers that weighed WAY to much (8,000 LBS), and a drive too fast.

I change my engine oil once a year.

Tranny shifts flawlessly. Hope to run this one until 2012 and 175,000 miles.

If Ford keeps the current trac as it is and Ford F's up the F-150, I will keep my Trac longer.

Tom

That isn't average. I've never had an automatic tranny in anything I've owned fail with less than 120,000 miles on it but I'm good about getting them flushed every 30k too.

My sister has a '99 Explorer which receives little in the way of any maintenance other than oil changes, her and her husband tow a enclosed trailer with a Harley in it all over creation plus she drives a lot for work, and the tranny didn't crap out until about 95k and I guarantee it had the original ATF in it.

OTOH, my secretary's husband bought a brand new Ranger two years ago, 4-banger, automatic, and had to get a new tranny about a month after he got it. :blink:

One of those things that you just never know.

04 2WD. At ~8K miles solenoid replaced, tranny flushed. At ~24K miles, slipping returned. Took to purchasing dealership and tranny replaced with a rebuilt one. Fortunately still under original warranty. I'm at ~46K miles now and all seems well.

Sometimes I wonder whether I was experiencing mechanical failure or whether the 'adaptive computer' was just confused by varying driving styles and using custom tunes (and flashing back to stock) without letting the battery sit disconnected for a while.

My '99 Exploder (Same tranny) had 185k when I sold it, and the kid that bought it has put another 20k on it since. Original tranny.

The reason it has lasted so long is because I added another cooler with a fan and an external tranny filter.

My tranny exploded while driving home from work at approx 80k mile. Fortunately when I bought the truck I got the extended warranty and it only cost me $100 out of pocket and they gave me a 2006 Ford F-150 quad cab to cruise around in while they had it. No problems since. I've put about 50k miles on since it has been replaced.

04 tranny went at 29K or so... Original owner beat the heck out of it...

03 at 60K drive the hell out of it, burnouts, hard take offs, No problems, Tranny fluid change every 21K....

Most every car my family owned ( Not Fords) all needed tranny rebuilds between 60K and 80K....

Never replaced a tranny on a Ford I own because I blew it up..

Todd Z

73k on the first one. I'm at 105k now, and we'll see how long the rebuilt one they put in lasts... I'm not too confident that it's gonna last to 150k.

have an 02 with 85K, seems to run/shift fine, I am the 3rd owner, so no idea about prior maintanence, but changed the fluid (flush actually) and shifts good, have a "flare" every now and then, but nothing consistence, I tow a bike and boat at various times with no problems.

2001 slipping after only 32k miles of city driving, need to get it fixed soon.