Mileage of Tires

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have 54K on my 255/70/16 Toyo H/Ts and its time for new shoes. I had the BF Goods before and they cupped like crazy so my tire guy recommended the Toyos and I have had NO problem. My question is I am much poorer now (new house/wife lol) so I wanted to see if anyone recommends a tire that wont cup like the Toyo (stability rib in outer shoulder area) for less green? My 03 4x2 track has 154K miles and fully stock suspension fyi.

I have Michelin ltx m/s and they have worn great , i have 94000 miles and counting on these tires... however I will be replacing them soon due to their age 8-1/2 - 9 years old and they are starting to show a little cracking around the tread. I have been VERY happy with these tires they are great in the rain and snow and are great on the highway too.

That's great mileage and I can attest to how great those tires are since we had those on my wife's Tahoe and now on her Edge (well, M/S2). 9 year old tires is scary, though. Tires do have a shelf life and it's generally considered to be about 6 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
You must not have read the poor part. Michelins are $180/each at Sams club and the Toyos I can get 2 mounted/etc for $335. Im very happy to buy the Toyos again was just wanting to see input of "lesser" brands if any that anyone has experience in that will give me high mileage (no cupping or uneven wear).

I agree hugh thats why they are being replaced.. I have kept a close eye on them and have had alot of tire shine(to keep them looking good and to protect them form dry rot)

throughout their life they are just now showing their age

fully stock suspension fyi.

Your cupping problems are because of the oem shocks. If you still have them. The oem shocks are junk from the factory. They are too soft for our suspensions. They allow too much nose dive while braking, body roll and oscilation on bounce.

The GY wrangler rt/s oem tires suffered the worst cupping.

If you have upgraded your shocks. The cupping is not the tires. it is to much neg camber in the alighnment. You may need to have caster camber kits. Have the shop to alighn to prefered alighnment spec's. Most shops will set it to within alighnment numbers. Our '01 to '05 tracs need to be set at prefered. So some need the kits to acheive this.

My 03 4x2 track has 154K miles and fully stock suspension fyi.

If shocks are original @ 154K, it's beyond tire wear. They're a safety hazard.

Cooper and Firestone are decent tires for not a lot of money. +1 on new shocks. The NAPA store brand shocks are really Monroe Sensa Tracs painted blue and half the price and if you have AAA and show them your card you will get 7% off.

I agree on the Michellin LTX, if cash were no object!! I have the LTX on my wife's Explorer. On my Sport trac I have General Grabber HTS. AVOID them!! They are the worst tires I have ever owned!! If you can go up to a Yokohoma Geloander I think you will be pleased. The tire shop I use says they have several ST customers with these Yoko's and they are liking them. Great ride, just not quite as long lasting as the Michellins. They tried to talk me into the Yoko's, but at the time I was looking to save a buck and got the Generals. BIG MISTAKE!!

The NAPA store brand shocks are really Monroe Sensa Tracs painted blue and half the price and if you have AAA and show them your card you will get 7% off.

Sorry JohnnyO, the NAPA site shows otherwise. Blue "Response" and the black "SensaTrac" are different models and prices.

You can get 90k-100k miles out of the LTXs. They don't cost twice the price of cheaper, inferior tires so they more than pay for themselves, IMO.

If you want the monroe reflex for the front. The #911177 or #911122, will fit a 4x2. The second is 4x4, but they work. You cant put 4x2 (911177) on the front of a 4x4 though.

My last check monroe still makes them. For some reason they only list sensa-trac for the front now. I like the reflex all around. Slightly stiffer, but the control is amazing.

The rear monroe reflex is #911035

Hughs right LTX's pay for themselves but if you don't plan on keeping your trac for another 100k you might look for cheaper tires

Wife's Pilot has LTXs from the factory. She has 61,000 miles on them and they have more than half the tread left on the worst one. Of course, her Pilot is driven by a little old lady, though.

You get what you pay for. I run Michelin LTX's on my 2001 ST and my RV. Last longer than anything else, so you effectively pay less.

Tires age out a 5 years. If you are in any sort of hot dry climate, 5 years is the MAX in my opinion. On my motorhome, they age out before they wear out. Sucks...