Michelin LTX MS / BFG Long Trail?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Rutt

Reaction score
Getting new tires this week.After searching thru posts and reading reviews I have it narrowed down to Mich. LTX MS or BFG Long Trail.I can get the Michelins for $60 more out the door.I know Caymen is a big fan of the Long Trails and there are a few others who seem to like them. They seem to be a good all around tire.I cant spend an arm and a leg for this set of tires right now but if the Michelins are a better tire, for $60 I might go that direction.

I was leaning towards the Long trails but the Michelins keep grabbing my attention.

Any opinions or experiences (good or bad) with either would be helpful.

Thanks , Markr

I have had the ltx's on the past 2 ST's and have never had such a trouble free tire that stays balanced, never cups, great road tire. I do'however, have them rotated every other time I have it serviced. I drive in snow in ND about 5 months out of the year and have no traction problems.

Rod

I shelled out 650 for my last set of tires, only to have a bad set of Edelbrock shocks take them out. After pricing out tires this time around, I went with the BFG Long Trails and have been impressed for the past 2000 miles or so. The northeast is hard on tires, so I didn't see the need to pay a premium on a tire that was going to be torn up over 3 years. Just a high quality tire without all the bells and whistles, so that when they're f'd in 3 years, I can swap them without sweating it.

For the BFG LT's price to performance, I can afford to replace them as frequently as needed without having a heart attack. I paid $126 per, installed, road hazzard, lifetime balance, all the protection and maintenance stuff, disposal, etc... Reality is that treadwear and all that jazz aren't a big concern after 3 years when your sidewalls have been gouged by road debris, your tread has been punctured repeated times by road debris, potholes have beaten the hell out of your tire all around, you get the idea. If it gives good traction, mileage, life, moves water, mud, and snow out of the way, and is made by a decent manufacturer... I'm willing to give it a shot.

If you want to save money, go for them. They will not disappoint.

I personally wouldn't get either, for one simple reason. Michelin owns BFG, and Michelin is French. I'm boycotting the French.

Also, I only got 8500 out of my factory Michelins.

For a good all around tire, go with the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo. I had 2 sets and they both were phenomenal.

True, but that was ONE tire in their line, and the problem only happened when underinflated, and almost every single case was the rear left tire for some reason.

I had 2 sets of Bridgestones on an overweight Explorer, and got over 70k per set. Going through puddles several inches deep, I never once hydroplaned. I never slid on ice/snow, and I never got stuck in mud.

So, essentially, you avoid BFG's only because they are French. Michelin is not known for making some of the best tires in the world for nothing. The make some fine tires, just like other brands. Though, Michelin has a name Bridgestone would love to have.

I avoid Bridgeston because they are a Japanese company that does not take care of their employees.

I know some Bridgestone/Firestone employees. I also know some Michelin NA employees. Michelin treats their employees better than Bridgestone-Firestone does.

That alone gets them on the top of my list on who to support.

Tom

I avoid Bridgestone because of their affiliation with Firestone, which = crap.

I am old enough to remember the huge recall on the Firestone Radial 500s that blew out and killed a bunch of people. Then, 20 years later they screw the same pooch and do it all over again on the Wilderness tires.

Firestone and Bridgestone lost my business forever. Screw up once, I'll forgive. Do it again, too bad.

Also, if the Taliban made a super-performing tire that sold for $25 each, I'd buy it. You can't blame consumers for getting the best deal for their dollar.

World politics aside, I had the Michelin LTX MS in combination with the Monroe Reflex shocks on my "04 and absolutely loved them.