McCain's heroic backdrop

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Maurer 2

Reaction score
Last night's speech reminded us of John McCain's long history of service and sacrifice, as he spoke in front of a majestic picture of Walter Reed:

[Broken External Image]:

One slight problem- thats not the Walter Reed Medical Center- its Walter Reed Middle School in North Hollywood, California...:wacko:

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think the intent was to deceive viewers into thinking it was Walter Reed Army Medical Center. It was just one picture in a slide show of photos depicting places all over America.

Wait, wait, wait.

Politicians deceive?

Like Obama's commercials where he quotes McCain's $5M middle class comment, but leaves out the fact that McCain was being facetious (i.e., he continues, "no, but...")?

This election is getting very old, very quickly. It's unbelievable how something so important for this country can be so obnoxiously annoying.

It was just a pretty picture. He didn't refer to it as "Walter Reed" or anything. He didn't refer to it at all.

I don't know when this occurred during his speech, but is it possible that this was during the education portion? If so, then it would make sense.

Could it possibly just be an OOoooops...........

Perhaps a staffer was told to "Quick get us a Walter Reed Pic", for inclusion in the slide show and he just goofed!

Having been stationed at Walter Reed Army Medical Center for nearly 3 years, I can attest to the fact that that photo is not of WRAMC, neither the old building or the newer high-rise building.

I did not hear all of his speach last night because I was on the phone, so I don't know if it was actually identified as Walter Reed hospital or middle school? It may have been a miscaptioned photo or confusion by whoever set up the slide show.

In either case it does not reflect in anyway on John McCain's service to his country.

...Rich

Richard L, I don't think anyone was saying that it does reflect in McCain's service in any way. Per the link TomT provided (and other similar threads I've seen elsewhere today), most people had no clue why that picture was behind him--and when people found out that it was of Walter Reed Middle School, lots of people speculated that it may have been a photo search mix-up. Which, IMHO, sounds like a very reasonable--but also very humorous--cause.

Being a Multimedia technician, this kind of mix-up is believable, but completley unacceptable. I work with Autism Consultants who do presentations on a daily basis. They rely upon me to put together a lot of their presentations and resources.

a user from one of those links made a great point: If McCain is so oblivious to the pictures that are being displayed behind him during the most important speech in his political career up to this point, it only illustrates how completley unattached to the rest of the campaign he is. I have a hard time not believing this as I make those I've made a presentation or resource for go over it again and again to make sure everything is the way they want it.

And now whats all this news about Sarah Palin's affair?!? Since when is the National Enquirer the ONLY reputable journal of opinion! :lol: its because they have been castigated by the mainstream media so much that what do they honestly have to lose by breaking a story this big.

They actually screwed up. During the Great Orator's speech, the image on TV made it appear that McCain was standing in front of a screwed-up green screen.

I was too busy watching McCain's mechanical movements--left left, look center, smile, look right, repeat.

If McCain is so oblivious to the pictures that are being displayed behind him during the most important speech in his political career up to this point, it only illustrates how completley unattached to the rest of the campaign he is.

Just another stupid statement by a self-absorbed journalist who thinks Obama is the one & only...

Well les,

I'll have you know it wasn't a journalist who wrote this at all, but jsut a regular voter and forum user just like yourself. Maybe they DO swing more towards the democratic vote, but have your statements been completley bipartisan as well?

You have to admit that it does have a good point though. Maybe McCain doesnt have time to sit down and watch the slideshow that will be his backdrop that night, but SOMEONE should have checked.. I mean this is a huge blunder for a nationally televised speech.

Note that we got a lot of video and stories about McCain and Palin but they pretty much try to cover up Obama's life from about age 10 to 35.

Bill V,

I never said that the mislabled photo had any negative connotation to McCain's, qualifications as President, but I knew eventually someone would make so comment that McCain or someone in his staff is incompetent...and sure enough Shaun T came through that open door.

I suprised nobody blamed the Republicans and McCain for timing the convention during hurricane Gustov ?? Should they have know that now is hurricane season ??

It sounds like everyone who is clammering for CHANGE continue to want to dish out the same old BS.

...Rich

Rich, if the photo was indeed a mixup, then yes, like it or not, it does point to someone in the campaign not doing proper dilligence (sp?), which can fairly be seen as an indication of the competence level of whomever is responsible for the error occurring. Even if it's not a mixup, it still calls into question the competence of someone in the campaign, as there was no logical reason to have that image there (or, the reason is too convoluted for anyone discussing it to come up with so far), and it was therefore confusing to voters, which is something any campaign does not want to do. Further, it resulted with McCain appearing to be in front of a green screen in closeup images, which eveyrone on the McCain campaign staff should have known to avoid simply from watching the Colbert Report. Either way, the image was a mistake.

However, no one has said or implied, nor could ever sanely say or imply, that such a mixup has anything to do with anyone's service record. But your comment clearly implied that someone had done just that.

I don't see what is a "mistake" about this image. There were LOTS of pictures, that were basically random. I seem to recall one of a flagpole. Correct me if I am wrong, but I remember absolutely no reference to the picture -- it wasn't talked about, wasn't labelled, wasn't captioned, nothing. It was simply a picture that was there. Assuming I am correct, how is that a "mistake".

I do seem to remember it looking like a green screen behind him, which was annoying.

As for the Palin "Affair" rumor, that is being flatly denied by the McCain Campaign. See below. (Fox News)

McCain campaign calls Palin affair 'vicious lie.'

Thursday, September 04, 2008

E-Mail Print Share:

ST. PAUL, Minn. — John McCain's campaign is denying a tabloid report that vice president candidate Sarah Palin had an extramarital affair. "It's a vicious lie," spokesman Steve Schmidt said.

The campaign is considering legal action, the senior adviser added.

The National Enquirer wrote in its edition dated Sept. 15 that Palin had an affair with a business associate of her husband, Todd Palin. He discovered the infidelity and dissolved the business, the article said. It attributed the allegation only to "an enemy" of the Alaska governor.

"The smearing of the Palin family must end," Schmidt said in a statement released Wednesday. "The allegations contained on the cover of the National Enquirer insinuating that Gov. Palin had an extramarital affair are categorically false."

You have to admit that it does have a good point though. Maybe McCain doesnt have time to sit down and watch the slideshow that will be his backdrop that night, but SOMEONE should have checked.. I mean this is a huge blunder for a nationally televised speech.

You're right, someone should have done a better job. Huge blunder, I wouldn't go that far, maybe a major screw-up.

Just another stupid statement by a self-absorbed journalist who thinks Obama is the one & only...

I stand by the statement, just take out the word journalist, insert the word moron.

If we are going to argue multi-media presentations, no question, the Democrats won, however, it may be the only thing they win...

Latest posts