Maybe time for a new one

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandon W

Reaction score
Hi all.

In case anyone keeping track, at last we spoke I had a small leak out of the thermostat housing, despite using a new O-ring. After using some stuff to clean the joints, there is little-to-no leaks. (Coolant has droped a half inch in 3 weeks).

Just when things are back on track (more or less), a spring wire snaps in the drivers door latch today. Specifically, the spring is attached to the outer door handle bit on one end and up high in the door on the other. Basically, the springs purpose is to hold the metal catch up, so that the door can fully unlock, and to stetch and allow the catch to sring down when the outside handle is pulled. Otherwise, the rod gets caught on the catch, and won't unlock. At this time, the ONLY way to unlock the door is to open it from the inside. It just binds when you try to unlock it by using the switches, remotes, or keypad. Confused yet? (If you are and are yet still interested, take a look in your door latch, pull the outside handle, and you will see what I am talking about).

In any event, the end wire of the spring is hanging down, snapped off from the bit. The space is just slightly too small for any pliars to get in there. So, I am left with either taking the door apart, the whole lock mechanism out, and trying to replace the spring. I can probably fix it for 5 bucks and 10 hours of aggrevation, or Ford will probably charge $500 and alot of aggrevation still. On the other hand, I can keep the door unlocked all the time, or I can go through the back door to open it from the inside. This is the temporary solution, but way too embarassing and annoying to do for more than a week.

Has anyone ever tried to remove the entire lock assembly? I see how it's done if it appears that it would be a heck of a task. Even then, I'm not sure I can get to the spring.

Any advise? Oh, and I will be hitting 150,000 miles this evening. Maybe time for somethinng. Thanks as always,

Brandon

Hope someone responds because my spring sprung too:angry: Happened about two weeks ago and sometimes the door unlocks but most of the time it doesn't. I've been opening the back door and reaching up to unlock the driver's door.:wacko:

That's correct, the key fob and keyless entry would unlock all doors EXCEPT the drivers door.

But, there is good news, at least in my case.

I attempted to repair the sprung spring first using the Mcguyver method. That is, I unwound a paperclip, bent it around the "nub" of the catch mentioned earlier. Then I screwed a 1/4 inch screw through the sheet metal, in the indentation JUST above the lock mechanism, and wound it around that. Worked like a charm as far as the door locking/unlocking, BUT, the door wouldn't open, because the same catch that needs held upward when the door locks/unlocks gets pulled downward when the outside door handle is pulled.

So, attempt two, I bought a package of 6 assorted springs for $5 bucks at Pep Boys (I forget what they were called, maybe throttle body springs?). using the smallest one I wrapped it around the nub on one end, and then attached the other to the screw. That was the ticket. Now all functions work with little resistance. The only slight quark is that the door will only close properly when the door is unlocked. So, I lock it with the keypad or key fob.

It's a ghetto and shady repair, but it is working, and saved me a great deal of $$. If anyone wants a picture, I can try to snap some with my phone.

In other milestones worth mentioning, We turned 150k miles yesterday. Overall, I have been completely impressed with the truck for the 100k miles I have owned it. I am tepmpted to trade for a new one, but also tempted to keep it and buy a Fusion. Of course, I have telling myself for 5 years that "2 more years" before a Ford diesel is offered, and for some reason I am still optimistic. See more in a new thread I'll post, taking a poll on what I my next vehicle move should be.

Regards,

Brandon

Latest posts