Max weight on the tailgate

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^ If all else fails, read page 55. :grin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a variation of the above 3/4" ply suggestion. Use the plywood, but let it hang out about 6" past the end of the tailgate. Park your truck where your going to load and build a short 2 x 4 wall under that overhang going from the ply to the ground. That way when you tilt the safe in, all the weight is transferred down to the ground/pavement. There won't be any weight on the tailgate.

Using just the plywood without the wall will still put most of the weight on the end of the tailgate. Even 3/4 will bend enough to put that weight on the tailgate. I wouldn't risk it.

Good luck.

Shift the focus a little.

I have to assume you have many hands on deck to help load this safe. How about laying the safe on the ground and then lifting it in past the tailgate before dropping the weight on to the bed. Then slide it in the rest of the way.

But a few good sugestions before this one. I like the 2x4 wall

Actually...No. The last time I hauled this I loaded it solo using a floor jack to tip it into my 1993 Dakota. Didn't even think twice about "would it hold"

OK so I loaded my safe onto the ST this morning using a strap, a floor jack & my Motorcycle jack. I tipped the safe against the tailgate, put a strap (for safety) around the door opening wheel. Hooked it to the bed eyes, put the Motorcycle jack under it & raised the safe off the floor. Once it got to a certain height, my son putt the floor jack under it. We raised it until it started to tip in the gently let it rest ON THE TAILGATE! We had a cardboard box in the bed so we could easily push the safe all the way to the front of the bed. NO DAMAGE, NO ISSUES, & NO PROBLEMS.

SO...The final answer is YES the ST tailgate CAN support a Winchester 26 gun safe ON THE TAILGATE without any damage!

Latest posts