master cylinder upgrade

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travis Stevens

Reaction score
has anyone ever swapped out the tracs MC for a larger one for more stopping power... also what upgrades can be done for substantial stopping power gains?

Travis.

You will need a MC with smaller diameter piston to get more power .

Not larger

Just look at a bottle jack.

Small pump piston , large lift cylinder.

It all depends on how you drive when it comes to setting up brakes for stopping. You can have brakes that stop like no tomorrow on the track but suck royally on the street and vice versa. I wouldn't go messing with the master cylinder because once you start changing bore size but not the rest of the system things go south in a hurry. Realistically for a ST a good set of rotors (not drilled or slotted) and a quality pad, Akebono's really help with initial bite and pedal feel, will really start to make a difference.Throw in some stainless brake lines front and rear and keep the rear brakes adjusted properly if you have drum brakes and you won't have any issues stopping. Another often overlooked item when it comes to brakes is tires. If the tires can't grip the road properly then all they do is lock up and that ain't no good. Suspension is often overlooked also. Weak shocks and springs that allow abnormal weight transfer while braking has a very adverse affect.

ok well my deal is im lifted and running new 35s and it takes a significant amount to stop them from rolling, i also have new shocks all around with maybe 5000 miles on them and suspension is all new so i guess all i need to know is where to get some stainless steel brake lines? any reccomendations

Last edited by a moderator:
With big tires and such you need an upgrade in clamping force and better pads. A pad with strong initial bite would probably work best. I built a heavier duty brake system on my 98 Ranger 4wd a while back. I used Cobra rotors at the front ( 13" dia x 1.125 thk ) and 98-03 F150 4wd calipers using Napa Ceramix pads. Out back I had an Explorer rear end with disc brakes using Napa Ceramix pads. I also had stainless braided hose made for the brakes. It would stop almost as well as my Cobra with its stock brake system. I also had 285/70/17 BFG All Terrains on it!!! The bracket for the front I believe was of a dog bone shape and was .625" thick. Made out of Aluminum plate it was both strong and stiff.

if your running 18 or larger rims, Explorer express sells a larger brake kit......

Todd Z

You might try performance friction pads. They are carbon mettalic. Less tendency to fade with heat. The heat actualy helps the clamping bite.

I have them on oem rotors. 265x60-18" tires. They are stock diameter tires, but I would guess an extra 20lbs per wheel and tire. After I installed pf pads. My clamping force got much greater. The jackrabbit starts and stops I do. They have me convinced the dust is worth the clamping power.

Im thinking of putting a set on the rear before I need them.

Latest posts