Mass air flow cleaner and fuel filter

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am planning to do some maintenance to my Sport Trac and had a few questions. Can you use mass air flow cleaner to clean the throttle body and IAC motor? Also, is there any particular brand of fuel filter members prefer over others?

Thanks,

Matt

MAF sensor cleaner is like an electrical contact cleaner and may not be strong enough for carbon buildup. CRC makes a specific TB cleaner that is safe for

the teflon coating. Regarding fuel filters, OEM Motorcraft seems to be the preferred choice. Two different models, check your build date on the door sticker.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used SeaFoam as a fuel additive before but have been told that you can use it to clean the throttle body, air intake systems, pistons, and combustion chambers. Was actually going to see about using the SeaFoam Spray to clean out my ST when it becomes warmer.

for a throttle body cleaner I have always used the "B-12 Chemtool" stuff but pretty much any of them that are made for that purpose will be fine. Make sure you get the right filter. I try to get OEM when I can but never hesitate to pick up whatever my local napa happens to have in stock if its something I need/want right now.

Second the MAF cleaner not being strong enough for the TB. I just did mine today. WIll do a full write up tomorrow. As for fuel filters, if you change them on regular intervals it really doesn't matter. There just isn't that much difference. You may even be surprised that a lot of the filters out there are made by the same manufacturer and just stamped with a different name and packed in a different box. Example. The extremely well respected filter company Racor makes the filter media for Fram filters that often get knocked as cheap. Does anyone think AC Delco, STP, Fram, Motorcraft, and others all have manufacturing plants making filter media? So get whatever your local parts store has on the shelf and know that it is going to do its job for 30,000 miles regardless.

Racor makes the filter media for Fram filters that often get knocked as cheap

That reference is to the oil filter. The filter media internaly is capped with cardboard.

Instead of a metal cap.

Im not pickey about modern fuel filters. On that note FYI, I recently used a can of berrymans fuel and injector cleaner in my tank. It did a good job. I can feel better acceleration.

You can tell who makes a product by the first five digits of the bar code. Those first five are the manufacturers id number on every barcode out there. Check the generic products UPC codes. You might be surprised.

http://gepir.gs1.org/v32/xx/gtin.aspx?Lang=en-US

Thanks for the information guys. I cleaned the IAC, throttle body and also the air filter box and things are running much better. I am ordering the fuel filter and PCV valve today for the next weekend of tuneups.

Thanks again.