Many puter problems, help

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Barber

Reaction score
Bought a new dell 3 years ago, cheapo, 400 bux, is on 24/7, had worked to perfection up untill about a month ago, got a virus from some Japanese site.

Ran malware, have 59 trojen horses in quaranteen, think my puter is toast, having a new CPU custom built as we speake.

Today the monitor starts to flicker, than it just ups and dies, not a puter person, is my monitor also gone?

Look at the light on the monitor switch. If it is still green, the monitor is probably ok. Then you could try a restore to an eariler date once you clear the viruse.

Gog luck Ed

Could be Dells onboard video. I've seen it go many times. If you have a PCI Video card laying around you could stick it in and that way you would know for sure if the monitor was ok.

Lgt is green, turn it off, turn it back on, go's black again after two secs.

Has been flickering for a couple days, think it is toast:(

Most likely the crap Dell video bit it. If not, $.27 per day ain't all that bad for the life you got out of the "cheapo" Dell!!!

Go into device manager and delete the monitor. Reboot and let it re-recognize the monitor. Maybe reloading the drivers will correct it.

Do you have a spare monitor handy? If the monitor goes from green to orange when the power if off on the pc then its most likely you OB video card. Unplug the monitor from the back of the machine, then power on the monitor, you should get a color test screen. If not the monitor is bad.

As for your machine, i would remove any pics, music, docs, and other data you want to keep and restore the machine. Wipe clean the hard drive and start over. That many viruses can do harm to the machines long term stability.

Im not sure the model but on the back of your machine may have an A B C D. When the pc starts and goes through your bios/post, all the letters should be green. If not, hardware has malfunctioned. The manual that came with the machine should be able to identify what piece of hardware is faulty.

viiiiiiiiiidddddeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeoooooooooooooo cccaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrdddddddddddddd!

Everyone sing along!

Bill,

If you have a Dell Optiplex PC look inside and see if the capacitors are puffed up. They look like little black cylinders with silver tops. If the tops look puffed up, your mother board is toast...That was a very common problem that Dell had problems with. No recall and they would only replace the motherboards during the warranty period.

One of the symptoms of the capacitor problem is the video intermitantly going out, or other weird things. Usually shutting the PC off for a few hours will appear to fix it for a while, but it will continue to get worse. We have about 10 Dells with the puffy capacitor problems and most also have problems with the power supply units as well. We have noticed that most of the power supplies loose their fan first thant the PS dies later...probably from overheating. We replace the power supply but the capacitors have already been damaged.

To check your monitor, just plug it into another PC and see if it comes up. But I suspect it's the moterboard

...Richard

RichardL,

I think Bill is saying above that he checked the monitor on another PC and saw the same crap (problem), therefore it sounds like a simple DOA monitor. At this point, monitors are disposable (read: not cost effective to fix, unless you do it yourself).

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
is the monitor for sure as my wifes works fine on my puter.

Running malware all the Viri are in Quarantine, can they still cause problems?

Darn Bill, a day late and a dollar short. I just gave away a 17" monitior. I would have given it to you..:(

Bill,

As the computer boots and the XP logo comes up and the blue scroll bar is animating at the bottom hold down the F8 key to get into safe mode menu, then boot into safe mode.

TJR

Bill,

I have a 17" Sony flat panel monitor, it's analog and I have no use for it.

I live in San Jose, and work in Palo Alto... Let me know if you want it, it was working fine last time I used it and has been stored for a few months.

email me if u r interested.

[Broken External Image]:

Latest posts