manifold leak?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Denis Bourque

Reaction score
Is the 04 ST known for manifold leaks?

And if so, how do they usually break, crack?

Is there anything special I should be considering if this is my issue (aftermarket manifold, planning, getting it welded, Ford only manifold etc)

I have a what seems like a ticking noise on colder days and have noticed a slightly harsher rumble from mine and think that might be my prob. I don't remeber seeing any posts on this....just wondering. I know I need to take a closer look at it to get a clearer picture, but I figured I'd check ith the pros first.

Denis

Denis

nope, The 04 manifold is a re design and is not a problem.... IT also is plastic...

The ticking could be a timing chain, Lifter, Valve..OR even a fuel injector......

Todd Z

I wouldn't be so quick to say that they aren't a problem. I replaced gaskets on 2 of them over the colder months for vacuum leaks. Just remember this...a plastic intake manifold will eventually leak vacuum...fact of life

Yes but it does not Tick..... he has a tick.... I am going of the fact there is a sound....

Todd Z

AN intake manifold ticking?? Haven't experienced this one yet on either the 4.0 or the 4.6. What exactly is causing the tick. I have ran into the older Windstars with the 3.8 where the inner liner of the intake comes loose and will make noise but it is alot more than a "tick" I am wondering if the OP isn't just hearing normal injector noise on a cold motor.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wasn't thinking intake, I was thinking more exhaust when I mentioned manifold leak and ticking, and by break I wanted to but manifold stud. I know some vehicles are prone to studs breaking and manifolds cracking causing ticking.

Would an injector get louder on cold days? I will keep lifters that in mind. Would a chain not always be noisy?

Thanks again,

Denis

The exhaust studs are pretty strong on the ST..... Just don't gorilla it....

It could be the y-pipe to manifold leaking......

An injector could be noisier in colder weather.... weird things happen to things...

As for the chain it would be more of a rattle, like marbles or a set of keys..

Todd Z

Latest posts