Make sure they don't Install 2wd shocks on your 4wd !! :-( :-(

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd Z

4 wheel drive
2nd Gen owner
V8 Engine
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V8 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
Well just when you think you can trust everyone and everything....

Woke up to this this morning, After looking at the part number on the dam shock. They are the 2WD shock not the 4WD, and the axle clamp wore a hole in the shock... ARGH!!!!!!

Todd Z

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

What brand shock is that, and who did it ? I have a 4x2 and my ranchos have along stem at the bottom as if they are for a 4x4..they work good on my 4x2 though...

Fast,

I agree. It looks like it was installed upside down. I thought, on the front, the reservoir goes on the top and the piston on the bottom.

Or, is that the precise error with 2WD shocks? The install brackets are reversed?

The shocks are the same between the 4x4 and 4x2.

Edelbrock Performer IAS.

4x4 3309-3409

4x2 3309-3409

Note: Same numbers

Motorcraft shocks. Both the same.

The difference is the valving. The size, layout, design, dimensions, etc. are identical. Identical. Identical.

Tom

If they installed my shocks upside down, me and the shop would be having words...

(I didn't think it was possible to do this with the way the shocks mount into the Trac).

Last edited by a moderator:
I certainly don't want to sound condesending but have you looked at your shocks? I don't know how you could install them "upside down". These must not be the appropriate shocks for your vehicle. Look at the photos {Sorry about the size}. Now tell me how can you make these work other than the way they are intended.

http://www.zjstech.net/~library/9381/Bottom.JPG

http://www.zjstech.net/~library/9381/Top.JPG

Jackie

PS: These are the front OEM shocks off of my 2003 4X4 Sporttrac.

You can NOT in any way shape or form install the ST shocks upside down...

Mine have the metal hat on the top..

My factory shocks had the thin metal stub at the bottom to clear the axle, I thought these where good to go.... They where installed by me, BUT I got them from a place in CT that my brother runs... I guess he didn't pay too much attention which ones he gave me...

Now off to buy yet another set of front shocks..

BTW these are Monroe reflexes....

Does any one with a 4WD have Reflexes installed, Do they have the OEM stem at the bottom???

Thanks

Todd Z

I certainly don't want to sound condesending but have you looked at your shocks? I don't know how you could install them "upside down". These must not be the appropriate shocks for your vehicle.

Or, is that the precise error with 2WD shocks? The install brackets are reversed?

I considered that. :)

Silly, Adam, don't you know people scan these days? No use reading entire messages; scanning works almost as well and includes twice the redundency.

Todd,

I have reflexes installed, but I don't know about the OEM stem

Do you want me to take pics for you?

~Josh

i just checked my reflex's - the passenger side is fine - the drivers front side is wearing through too... model number is 911177

any ideas on remedy - can the offending clamp be turned?

I had Monroe Reflexes installed this past November. I looked up the paper work and the part numbers were 911122 and 911035. It does not say which was the front or rear, but thats the two part numbers on my paper work. 4X4

The 911177 Is the 2wd shock according to Monroe's web site...

I emailed their tech support to see what they say...

I was thinking of just hammering the clamp flat, But that is not "right"....

Hopefully have an answer in the morning..

Todd Z

just took my front left shock off - it had worn thor where the act of taking it off caused it to leak - all fluid now out - just checked the boxes mine came in - 911177 for the fronts and 911035 for the rears

And i ordered for a 4 WD

:angry:

Hmmm.... Sounds like most of you got the shaft here... (SHAFT MEANING DICK IN THE @$$!!) Mine are good only because I verified the numbers with the installer (SEARS) RIGHT before the install, they were about to put 911177's on mine too! Good news is that Monroe has a LIFETIME warranty on all of the shocks it sells.. If your $h!t breaks, just take it back to where you bought it and tell them you want that $h!t fixed!

~Josh

By the way, the reflex part number for the 4WD is 911122.

Latest posts