Lurch when shifting to/from Reverse

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Stehle

Reaction score
Every now and then I notice that when I shift either to or from reverse in my trac the shift is a little rough. I haven't been able to find any info on this...Is it a common issue? Is it something that I should be worrying about? The transmission seems to shift great on it's own when driving, and the fluid was in great shape when I recently did a pan drop/filter swap.

Mjs,

There was an issue with the 04 having a slow or sticky reverse and there was a recall for that... IT was a simply additive the dealer put in the tranny fluid....

May be time for a fluid change

Todd Z

Thanks for the reply Todd. I did a pan drop last week, so about half my fluid is new. I added the drain plug so I could just drain it and refill with fluid during oil changes, but maybe I should just do it another time or 2 over the next few weeks. I do believe it got better after the pan drop, but it could just be my mind messing with me. Thanks again.

Not difficult, just messy. Make sure you place a large pan underneath (like 3' x 3' or so) and cleanup isn't too bad. I used rubber washers in addition to the nylon ones that came with the plug, a lot of people have slow leaks using just the nylon ones.

Ha yea just a bunch of bolts around the perimeter and it drops straight down. Make sure you don't tighten them too much or the gasket will leak. It's a good idea to replace the filter if you haven't, and the gasket while you're in there.

Many don't recommend a tranny flush, unless you've owned the car from the beginning and done a flush every 30k or so. From what I understand there is a lot of risk, and a lot of tranny shops won't even do it unless you sign a waiver.

Latest posts