LS did not kick in?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlipTrac_511

Reaction score
I was driving up the next level in a tight parking lot and slowly approached the relatively steep incline with a wide berth. The rear axle lifted on the passenger side and my Trac stopped advancing as the passenger side wheel started to spin. I pushed the accelerator slowly (to 2500rpms I think) hoping my limited-slip would kick in any day, but I just started to smell rubber. I had to embarassingly back up and renegotiate the incline at a much straighter approach to proceed upwards.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't my 4.10 limited-slip differential supposed to prevent this kind of situation?

Oh yeah, it's 2WD.

Last edited by a moderator:
The limited slip clutches will disengage at a certain point....

It sounds like the drivers side tire had sooo much traction it sent it to the passenger side and the clutches could not grab the drivers side....

You simply overpowered the clutches.....

IF you had a locker in there it would have grabbed..

Todd Z

There is a trick that I have had luck with in similar situations; take your foot off the gas and tap your brake momentarily, and then ease back on the accelerator. This can often aide in actuating your L/S. In addition, as Todd Z kind of eluded to; the L/S will wear quite a bit over time depending on the miles you have... it may be possible that the clutches are nearing the end of their usefullness. Hope this helps. ;)

Thanks Todd. Becker, I haven't even reached 40K miles yet so I doubt it's the clutches. Will try your method if the situation ever arises again. Thanks!

Don't doubt that it is the clutches. LSDs tend to wear out slowly and gradually, so that when the time comes, it doesn't "work" like expected. Just be glad you don't have a VLSD.

Actually, limited slip is always "kicked in". The two axles are semi-locked together with a friction clutch pack. The LS dif actually operates when the wheels need to turn at different rpm's and the clutch pack slips allowing the axles to rotate at different speeds. Mine was replaced at 35,xxx miles. I knew it was going bad because I could hear it chatter when turning corners. Sounds like yours is slipping all the time. If you ever had your dif fluid replaced did they [or you] also add the friction modifier fluid?

Add a container of XL-3 (Ford part number) limited slip additive to the diff. and make about half a dozen figure eights to work it into the clutch pack. It should improve the "bite".

Latest posts