Lowest of all the Pulleys of Serpentine belt set.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattee

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
Good dat, I have been missing around trying to get my belt squeal in order. After trying "everything", I finally found a mechanic with some actual good repair knowledge. He said he problem is that the lowest pulley wheel (Some form of a tensioner, different from the idler arm pully) Needs to be replaced. The inner rubber part of it is broken and the pully moved back about 2 inches toward the engine. This pulley has 2 parts a front smaller diameter, and the rear part has a larger diameter. He said it's suppose to be on the larger rear one not the front smaller one. So me running it on the front one although it lines up, is wrong because the pulley should be a few more inches away from the engine block? Does anyone know about this? Thanks again for everyone's wisdom.
Maka

Crank pulley, or harmonic balancer..... Rock auto has them... need special puller to remove.

Crank Pully. The Front set of "groves" lines up with other pulleys. I was "Told" by the local mechanic.... It is supposed to be on the rear set? And this pully "moved back" into the engine a few inches and that's why it does not line up with the tear groove set??? That seems strange to me! All the replacement CranK pulleys I have so far found to replace, only have the rear set of grooves, the smaller diameter front set is missing???

Attachments

• Crank Pulley 03.jpg
    Crank Pulley 03.jpg
    494.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Crank Pulley 01.jpg
    Crank Pulley 01.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
If the damper is damaged, this is why your belt keeps popping off as you stated in the other thread you started about this same issue.

Replace the damper(crank pulley), put the original sized belt on it, and call it a day. Don’t try to overthink it, or change something else, or whatever. The problem has been found. This is exactly why I asked if you checked the other pulleys.

Thanks, I did the best I could, the "Mechanic" I hired to help said it was the lower crank pulley as you mentioned. He found me a used one (All we have on this island), if its OK, he will let me know what he will charge tomorrow, Probably about $300ish to get me by. Not sure if it is better to drive it as is for a few weeks and fix it after I ship it back to the mainland then? Assuming its not to dangerous too do so? I have been driving it like this for probably a month since I felt something was wrong. Thanks again for your advice, I have been learning alot.

Is it suppose to be on the smaller front set of threads of the larger set closer to the engine on the crank pully?

Latest posts