Lower Control Arm and Ball Joint

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cris Laroco

Reaction score
The lower ball joint on my '04 XLT's passenger side went out, so I thought I'd replace it. While looking at it also found a nice 2" crack in the lower control arm so it looks like I'll have to replace that, too. I'm planning on going to the junk yard tomorrow and was wondering if any of you know if any other Ford models use the same lower control arm. I don't know if I'll find many Sport Tracs at the junk yard, so if another truck (like the Ranger, for example) uses the same part, I at least have a few options. I'd just really hate to have to buy it from the dealership.

Any help is appreciated.

Cris

- Don't know if it matters at all, but I have a 4x2 XLT. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would guess that a 1996 to 2001 Explorer, 1996 to 2003 Explorer Sport, and POSSIBLY, though not positive, Ranger 4x4 or Edge 4x2.

4x2 Rangers (not the Edge model) have a different front suspension than the 4x4 models to. The 4x2 Edge has the 4x4 suspension, but the 4x2 spindles.

Tom

Lower control arms are easier than the uppers. Not a hard job at all, you will need to remove the torsion bars too.

Tom

I think I still have the LCA off my truck at work. I don't need it since I have a Mustang suspension it now.

JK...how much do you think it would cost to send it from Florida to Southern California? I can probably take a "sick" day from work to get it finished.

I get a discount from work shipping it UPS. Depends how much it weighs , but I don't see it being much more than $15 if that. I'll have to look on Monday for it and I'll let you know.

Thanks, JK. I'm planning on still checking out a few of the junk yards nearby, but I would still appreciate any info you have on Monday. If my search turns out well tomorrow, I'll be sure to let you know.

Rockauto has some good prices on NEW control arms Too....

Todd Z

Thanks Todd. $80 for a new control arm and ball joint doesn't seem too bad either. Would I need to get an alignment after making the swap?

I think you would if the lower arm has any type of play in it at the frame, But I don't think it does on the ST..

See how it looks when you remove the arm at the frame..

Todd Z

Check the projects section. There is a project with pics on how to unload the torsion bar.

edit; I looked cant find the project. Maybe it was pics in someones library.

Thanks Chad, thats what I was looking for. Where did you find it??

edit: never mind it is in your library...

Cris, it is a puller. His is a multi type. If you have Harbor frieght this i what you can use. See the link..

Sounds good! I've got a Harbor Freight about 20 minutes from me, so I'll pick up a set before I go to the yard. Thanks again all for the help.

Latest posts