lower ball joints

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it's like a $50 ball joint service kit and an alignment.

Just do yourself a favor and replace with moog greaseable parts.

Put your jack stand under the lower control arm..That way the upper and lower ball joint is in a no stress position...

I tried it myself, but found that I could not pound out the OEM lower ball joints. I had the fork & ball joint press tools. The cone of the press would not fit around the lower ball joint due to insufficent space between the edge of the ball joint and the edge of the lower control arm. I would have had to modify the rented tool, so that it would apply even pressure to the ball joint without hitting the edge of the control arm. At this point, I decided to take it to an auto service place, and they had made a better bracket to get it removed.

So, It can be fairly easy to remove under the proper circumstances, but it may give you difficulties.

By the way, I replaced the uppers ball joints as well. It required a good sledge hammer, but after fighting with it, I was able to get them installed. It is a very tight fit to get the bolts removed and installed on the drivers side. It is the one I had the most trouble replacing. Patience was required. But, it was do able.

Just my experience, but many people have replaced them without reporting any troubles. Take if for what it is worth, and make your own decision.

-- Peter Nystrom

Latest posts