Low beam out issue

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan B

Reaction score
Hey guys - I did a search in the forum and after a long attempt I couldn't find someone with a similar issue regarding an 07 Sport Trac. I also searched google and believe I have the answer to my problem, but... Lets begin. History:

Driving along during dusk or morning when the lights turn on - for a few weeks my driver side headlight would stay off when the lights automatically came on (low beam only), but after a few seconds it would click on, and the usual warning about the bulb would stay on until I shut the truck off. One day the driver side low beam decided not to come on at all and of course the warning is here to stay until its fixed or I don't use the lights.

Ok! So, I buy new bulbs and use the high beams when needed in the mean time.

New bulbs, and still the low beam on the drivers side is out. I have the high beams still, and did the bulb swap - all 4 of my headlight bulbs are good (the 2 old, 2 new). It is only the low beam on the driver side that is not working.

Next. Went through the usual relays and fuses, etc - nothing obvious. I google search, and it is suggested there is a problem with the "Lamp Out Module" (LOM).

Sweet! I found my answer to what the trouble could be. But the million dollar question - where the heck is the LOM? Google only had the issue for an 01/04 Explorer or Sport Trac, nothing for 2007! I followed the posts indicating the location for the older models: I pulled the trim off the console, looked under the dash on both driver & passenger side - I couldn't find anything that resembled the LOM. I am only going by what the replacement part picture looks like, which could be generic but still, I know the difference between a ECU and what *could* be the LOM.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I hate having that light out...

Thank you in advance.

Cheers,

Dan.

Last edited by a moderator:
They might mean the wiring loom, at the bulb. Use a volt meter and test the harness that plugs into the bulb. Check for 12vdc @ the low beam connection to the center ground. If no 12vdc. Check the low beam conection to body ground. If you have 12vdc then. There is a break down in the ground wire or connector.

I replaced the connector last week on a freinds ford. It had gotten hot at the ground. Reason was the low beam connector was not making good contact. the clip in the plug was pushed too far backward. Was not making good contact.

I was finally able to do a bit of investigating on this, and thanks Eddie for the advice. I went to check the connector and everything was good as far as the pins being where the belonged.

I decided to then checked voltage and I was getting voltage with low beams active but still no light. I noticed that the connector had been electrical tape that didn't look right, so I pealed it off and under it was a nasty splice job.

Someone seems to have spliced in 2 resisters inline on the low beam side. I took a pair of alligator clips and bypassed the resistors and the low beam came on!

So, are resistors part of factory wiring and someone just replaced them and they are bad again, or am I able to splice in a regular wire and call it a day? I don't want to do any damage and just bypass them... When I bypass the resistors, the low beam on that particular side is a little bit brighter than the other side, I am guess that side too has the resistors...

Thanks again for the help!

there is no "LOM" on 2nd gen. the lamp out light gets a signal from the smart junction box, (fuse box inside cab.) there are no resistors at the connector. someone must have had some aftermarket stuff hooked up. glad you got it figured out where the problem is.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts