Love my V8 Chevy Sport Trac!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael b

Reaction score
What did it take to do it? Well, here's a partial list:

The following had to be custom fabricated:

Brackets to use ST PS/AC/

Idler pulley assembly

Conversion from V belt to serpentine system

Motor mounts

Transmission mount

Alternater brackets

Lower radiator hose

Carb Linkage

Drive shaft(s)

We installed 2 electric fans in front of the radiator and a engine driven flex fan along with a reverse flow water pump to accomadate the new serpentine belt system,

had to use early style exhaust manifolds to fit---Headers were a no-go.

Yanked out the computer system & re-wired the vehicle.

Pulled in-tank pump & installed external fuel pump for carberated engine

Had a custom 2 piece driveshaft made with custom mount for carrier bearing

Installed gauge pod & GPS for functional use

The 350 "Crate" motor has (so far):

Melling MTC-1 Performance Cam

Eldebrock EPS Performer Hi-Rise intake

Holley 4 bbl 600 cfm carb w/electric choke

Transmission is a TH 400 with a B&M Ratchet shifter.

Total cost for conversion? around $ 5000.00 (with me helping do the work)

Worth it? Hells yea. Now it looks & runs as aggresive as it looks:)

Why did I go with a Chevy small block? mainly because I've had small block fords (mustang GT etc.) and I've had numerous Corvettes also & I just like the old school Chevy for building up because of parts availability & all. It is soooo easy to work on too.

All I have left on my to do list is adding 1.6 roller rockers (cheap & easy) and I will probably get hi-flo heads & high stall torque convertor this spring.

The truck starts great, runs great & drives great. I'm pleased:D

[Broken External Image]:[Broken External Image]:[Broken External Image]:[Broken External Image]: (excuse the dirty console but the truck sat in a dusty garage for weeks & I haven't cleaned her up yet:D)

I will post sound clips or video clips soon:)

Last edited by a moderator:
the two tachs are so you can get good reading...you know take the average of both..hahaha

Actually it's probably for the same reason alot of mustang guys do it. The factory tach is not as accurate as a aftermarket tach.

Or I guess it could be for the reason all the honda guys do it. It gives them an extra 5 - 10 HP.

hey tonka if you dont care email where you got your lift i called aim and they said the spindles wouldnt fit nor the upper control arms please help me my email is [email protected]

thanks

joey

by the way he trac looks sweeti ope mine will be that bad one day

Labor/Custom Parts is what will kill you in a converstion like this so if you do the work its not so bad. Engine looks so tiny in there. Good job can't wait to see the videos.

Last edited by a moderator:
YEAH!!!!!!! Awesome! Nice job, Tonka! Hey, I think you're living near Johnson City, right? If so, you should take it to the cruise-in that goes on every Saturday evening (during the warm months) in downtown Elizabethton. Then you can show it off a little AND I might get a chance to see the beast in person. :cool:

Looks good man, Congratulations on the conversion and mod.....

I too would have liked to see a Ford engine in there, But who cares, that could be a 400+ HP v8 powered Gen 1 st !!!!!!!!

So, some burnouts or wheelie vids going to be posted???

Todd Z