Lost nearly all engine power today

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donald Moore

Reaction score
When I started my '03 trac after work today it stalled and when I started it again it would barely idle. I drove home but I had no engine power. Every time I stepped on the gas pedal, the engine would almost die. I drove home at about 25 mph which was top speed (unless I was going down hill). After stopping for a pizza, it started perfect and ran great.

Any ideas what to check? I will go out later tonight and try it again.

Normal operation. My '03 would do that every now and then. Just shut it down and restart it. They just "do that" every now and then. Dealer said nothing was wrong.

I recommend a bottle of Techron fuel system cleaner and a fuel filter. I had similar symptoms but problem solved after the cleaner and changed filter.

We call that the ST gremlin.....

Just shut it off and re start it will go away...

Todd Z

I have that gremlin as well. There was even a couple times when mine smoked incredibly bad and filled my garage with thick smoke. Turned it off and started it again and all was fine.

WHAT!!!! I can't believe what I am hearing (ok, reading)! They just "do that", ST gremlin, nothing is wrong. I have never experienced this, but I would not accept that.

"Quality is Job 1" my fat butt :angry:

Rocks

This is nothing more than a bad boot when the computer starts and it goes into limp mode. This happens on occasion to all brands of cars and trucks. Most people will never experience it in their entire life of driving. PC's do it; Apples do it; even the space station had that trouble this past week. No computer design has been 100% reliable during boot-up. Even if it's only one failure in one trillion trys, that is less than 100%.

Bill-E said:
PC's do it; Apples do it; even the space station had that trouble this past week. No computer design has been 100% reliable during boot-up.

Yeah, but people expect, nay demand, their cars to be more reliable and easier to use than their PCs.

You all made me remember this:

If Cars were Built like PCs

If Detroit had developed technology like Microsoft, we would all be driving cars with the following characteristics:

- For no reason whatsoever, your car would crash twice a day.

- Every time they repainted the lines on the road, you would have to buy a new car.

- Occasionally, your car would die on the freeway for no reason, and you would just accept this, restart, and drive on.

- Occasionally, executing a manner such as a left turn would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart in which case you would have to reinstall the engine.

- Only one person at a time could use the car, unless you bought "Car95" or "CarNT", but then you would have to buy more seats.

- Apple would make a car that was powered by the sun, reliable, five times as fast, and twice as easy to drive, but would only run on five percent of the roads.

- The oil, water, temperature, and alternator warning lights would be replaced by a single "general car default" warning light.

- New seats would force everyone to have the same size butt.

- The airbag system would say "Are you sure?" before going off.

- Occasionally for no reason whatsoever, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key, and grabbed hold of the radio antenna.

- Would require all car buyers to also purchase a deluxe set of Rand McNally road maps (now a Ford subsidiary), even though they neither need them nor want them. Attempting to delete this option would immediately cause the car’s performance to diminish by fifty percent or more. Moreover, every time Ford introduced a new model, car buyers would have to learn how to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the same manner as the old car.

No, I expect my PC to be as reliable as my vehicle. PC's have boot failures far too often whereas I've never experienced one in my Trac. Did maybe once with a Chevy Corsica during 115,000 miles of ownership. Apparantly you failed to note the true nature of my statement which is that no complex system designed and built by man will be 100.000000000000.......% reliable. When you get hundreds of millions of vehicles being started multiple times each day, a reliablity of only 99.9999999% will cause some failures every day.

Bill-E said:
Apparantly you failed to note the true nature of my statement which is that no complex system designed and built by man will be 100.000000000000.......% reliable.

I got that. Given that I design fault-tolerant and fault-resilant computer-based systems I think I can appreciate that notion.

However, I don't think that dmoore's problem is the typical "computer boot" problem, at least not of the "1 in x Million (or trillion)" type you describe above.

Consider this. If his problem truly is the 1 in x Million (or trillion) type that simply occurs randomly with no root cause then what is the liklihood it would happen between two different restarts? I ask that because he had issues across two restarts. It's very unlikely that two successive restarts encounter this 1 in x Million (trillion) problem, no?

Or maybe the poor performance upon the 2nd restart was the computer "relearning" from being totally f'ed up due to the poor boot prior? And, if that were the case, would it likely have re-learned by the next startup (when things started working)?

Bill-E, don't get me wrong, this might be a computer glitch...I'm just not convinced that it is a boot up issue. For example, does the main carputer even boot upon engine start or is it constantly on as long as the battery is connected and has power (the difference between cold boot and hibernating, so to speak)? Anyone know the answer to that?

I don't know the internals or the design of the Ford car computer, but I do understand that it "learns" things about your driving. Learning requires storage to be able to trend data from various sensors. That storage is either volatile (lost when the power goes off and therefore powered all the time), or non-volatile (retains across power cycles). Now, I know that disconnecting the battery wipes that storage, so it is very possible that the computer is actually running all the time, even if in a limbo/hibernated mode while the car has power. If that is the case, there is no "boot" associated with each restart of the engine. As I said, I don't know.

I'm interested in finding out what dmoores problem is/was. I suspect it might have been a glitch in the computer that worked itself out over restarts and relearning.

Oh, and as for your wish that PCs be as reliable as cars...I doubt it will ever happen. The tolerance for a failure in a PC is simply too high when compared to the same tolerance for a car. People aren't likely to die when their PC crashes. That's not true with a carputer, or a computer running within a medical device, etc. Systems can be made to be more fault tolerant and actually fault resiliant, but for a PC the cost would be prohibitive for most.

Later,

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill,

Based on the number of people saying they have had this happen, this seems to me more like a trend with the ST rather than simple random aberration.

Rocks

I am having trouble believing in the ST gremlin. I will admit that it has only happened once so far (last night while driving home). The ST ran perfectly after re-start last night and while driving to work today. I have not yet changed the fuel filter or anything else in an attempt to fix it. I thought about unhooking the battery ground wire to "reboot" the computer but thought it was probably a waste of time. I am leaving work now and will report in when I get home. Hopefully the ST gremlin is not waiting for me.

Funny, I don't have any problems with any of my 3 PCs. They work like champs. No boot up issues. Maybe because I buy system that are built up not the junk Dell, Gateway, HP, E-Machines, etc sell.

And, one system I'm surprised doesn't have issues with running Illustrator and Photoshop all day long.

Latest posts