Loose Handling

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Castineira

Reaction score
Hi all,

The otherday while on my way home from dinner I hit a tire eating pot hole while driving about 50 mph while in the middle of making a 90 degree turn on an on ramp to a highway. My trac's front left tire hit the pot hole and I "drifted" size ways for quite a bit until I regained traction. Since then the body roll, 1960's caddy pimp bounce, and the feeling of truck about to roll over has been excessive. Case in point, while making slight turn on the highway going 60-70 mph, where there is an expansion joint, my truck bounces and feels loose, almost as if I am close to loosing control. It always had this to a point by not enough to scare me. I looked under the truck and my right rear shock is leaking, I still have the stock shocks with 30,000 miles (OMG I know). Here is my question, is this a simple replace the shock solution or something more serious. If so I need to get on the ball as my warranty ends October 4th.

CHRIS

Replace the shocks with a good aftermarket. Ford will put the same cheap sloppy shocks on it. The monroe reflex is excelent for the trac. Monroe sensatrack for a little softer ride. With either one you will wonder why you didnt do it sooner. The ride and control will be better than factory.

edit; replace all 4..;)

Last edited by a moderator:
The stock suspension on our sport tracs are notorious for being less than effective. Every member here will tell you to upgrade the suspension. It's one of the first things you should do IMO not just for performance but more importantly for safety.

Start with upgrading the shocks. I got rancho RS5000's on sale for like 38.00 each from sears and I upgraded to an Explorer Express rear sway bar and changed everything out all in one pop. The front sway bar seems to be sufficient as it is, you could change out the bushings to poly but remember to work on the rear before you do anything to the front.

After upgrading your suspension, it will drive like no other SUV you have ever driven. Get rid of the stock suspension as soon as you can, trust me, your sport trac will thank you:D!

Could have broken an end link on a sway bar....

Todd Z