Looking to install rear-view camera

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Stamps

Reaction score
I tow a boat with my ST and am interested in installing a rear-view camera/monitor to help with "hooking up" and backing the trailer in the water, but more importantly, backing the trailer to get the boat out of the water. Anyone out there with any suggestions as to the pros and cons, and as to what camera or monitor to get? Any pictures to show me? Thanks-Bob

Bob, I think if you google "Gentex rear view mirror/camera" you'll find a number of sites that sell this. They have kits that include a rearview mirror option, that shows the camera view right in the mirror for a very clean installation. I'd like to do that, but the SYNC microphones are on the bottom edge of the mirror. Good luck, Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a camera that bolts to the top two bolts on my license plate. I've got it aimed just at the top of my hitch. It has been great for years and I use it all the time. I've got it on a toggle switch so I can use it whenever I want and not just when I am in reverse. If you pull a lot of trailers it is a priceless tool. I don't remember the brand but it has been awesome and install was a breeze.

As for the monitor my radio has on built in so I can't help much there. However, I did just drive my uncles 2012 f250 with a monitor in the mirror. It was really nice and you can buy them aftermarket

I did the one that was the Upgrade for the Sync Lock Pick System - I have factory Nav and with this system from Coastal Tech and the second i go into reverse, the color camera kicks on, it has the grids on it with foot markings so I know pretty accurate when I am backing up -

I also think it is Spot On for aligning a hitch - They offered a front camera and I installed that as well - I have that splitter on my STA and sit about 3.5 inches lower in the front than most and when I push the phone button and hold it down, it asks me if I want to view second camera and this little gadget has kept me from curbing my truck or makes me leave the ass haging out in the street - A few other neat things - you can view the rear camera while you are in forward motion, or the front can be set to come on at under 10mph (custom wiring and not supported by Coastal Tech) - 1) you can activate Full DVD Viewing so you passengers can see movies as you travel - great sound system and the driver gets to enjoy while driving.

Navi input - yep, it has it too - and you can enter on the fly - where the normal system is disabled at 4 mph

Sports scores and all the other disabled items - they all work for you in motion -

so it starts at $239 i think and then a little more for each camera - true plug and play - great investment - check out the link

Drilled mine into the Plate..

and used EPOXY to hold it there..

View from the back of plate

[Broken External Image]:

View of the plate.

[Broken External Image]:

I did this because I wanted it to look like it was not there

More images in the Album called Eclipse Stereo

I've bought three of the cheaper ones from Wal-Mart and Pep Boys, $69 to $99, and found they last about a year. Nice to have but I'm done with them until I find a higher-quality unit that will last.

Latest posts