Looking to buy Used Tonneau- need advice

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanG 01

Reaction score
Ok. I took a shot a craigslist to see if someone was selling their ST and if they wanted to part with their factory tonneau. I found someone that has a buyer that doesnt want the tonneau. My guess is he wants something more appealing for looks. the seller offered me the cover for $375, but with some cracks. What do you guys think of pics and price?

Images in my library

thanks

DanG

I think with cracks it is a slightly elevated price. I bought mine used for $300.00 and it was in perfect condition.

Here are a few options for you to either compare it to or, buy if you want to...

Yes, I know it says pickup bed, but, read slightly to the right and you will see it is the covers..

Pickup Bed Ford Explorer Sport Trac 2 PC TONNEAU COVER,FACTORY AI0316 $350 OK Auto Parts USA-MS(Richland) E-mail 1-800-748-7539

2002 Pickup Bed Ford Explorer Sport Trac BARE BOX INNER PLASTIC TUB SUM CRKS 95J05 $350 Rich's Wrecking & Salvage USA-NE(Gering) E-mail 1-800-439-9082

2003 Pickup Bed Ford Explorer Sport Trac OEM HARD COVER ONLY NOF $350 A B & B Auto Parts, Inc. USA-FL(Callahan) Request_Quote 1-904-354-0142 / 1-800-342-4772 Request_Insurance_Quote

NOT OEM

2002 Pickup Bed Ford Explorer -BURG NICE FIBERGLASS BED CVR N0188 $320 Auto Parts of Shelby -PRP USA-NC(Shelby) Request_Quote 1-888-597-7278 Request_Insurance_Quote

2002 Pickup Bed TANO COVER-HARD COVER,GRN 000 A0 050175 $200

actual House of Auto Parts, Inc. USA-MI(River-Rouge) E-mail 1-800-241-1125

I don't think I would worry about the inside cracks but I don't like the look of the outside one. It looks like it was abused too much. Go with Coastie's recommendations. Noticeing the outside crack would bother me and I would just pass.

George

Coastie & George,

thanks for your opinions.

Coastie,

do you have anything closer to 01906 in MA?

thanks,

Dan,

Not sure what your intentions are for the tonneau, but for about $200 in materials, you can build a tough tonneau out of aluminum diamondplate. I made mine in 2004 and it is still in perfect shape. It can support as much weight as you can fit on it (i've had 4 people standing on it with no flex), and it fits just about flush and square with the bed rails, making it great for loading long items, like 2x4's, through the back window. Next week I'll be building a shed, and will load 16 2x6's, 50 2x4's, and 4 4x4's on the cover and through the back window. plus somehow I'll throw 8 sheets of plywood on top and 300lbs of bagged gravel in the truck bed.

Basically, I just bought the diamondplate pre-cut in 2 pieces, hinged them at the center, and hinged the forward plate to the top of the front bed-wall. Then used a filler piece to fill the center seam, and braced it in the center with the truck's jack. I've got 3 lashing points underneath that hold it snug to the rails. Close the tailgate, lock it, and nobody is getting in without a tough metal saw. When the full bed is needed, I have it hinged such that the back panel folds flat onto the forward panel, and then both can lean against the back of the cab, (with a towel between to protect the truck). I considered having it covered in LineX, but never got around to it. They quoted me $50 bucks to do it, and said it would bond perfectly and show every contour of the diamond plate.

Anyway, just an option in case you hadn't considered it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brandon,

I thought about doing something like that, but it would match the colors on the truck. I recently removed all chrome because i didnt like the look so i went with all black accessories with my white ST. What would it cost to Powder coat the plates? if this is a low cost, i may attempt it.

Not sure how much powder coating would cost. Like I said, Line X quoted me $50 bucks to spray it with the same stuff they use on bedliners, and the said it would work very well. Maybe Line X or Rhino do colors other than black now?...

If I can get time this afternoon I'll get a few pictures. Sometime this week for sure. My truck didn't come with a tonneau, so the only factory hardware I am using are the existing 4 round cargo tiedowns on the lower corners of the side walls. I used standard 2" stainless steel hinges for the hinging. I tried taking pictures on a sunny day before, and as you can see from the one attached, the glare ruined the picture.

My personal opinion: I would never buy or pay any money for a cracked tonneau cover.

You can buy used ones in excellent condition for as little as $300. Why pay $375 for someone elses trash ??

...Rich

Latest posts