Looking for an iPhone APP that you can listen to FM radio..

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Palmer

Reaction score
My gym has their TV's tuned to specific frequencies.

I am looking for an app I can install that will allow me to listen to the shows.

I have one that I will try today, it searches for local strong signals then lists them. If you know of others, please give me enough detail to find it.

Thanks in advance,

CJ

Sorry, but the iPhone doesn't have any FM reception hardware built into it. So it has no way to receive FM signals. Many FM stations are also streaming their content over the interweb, so it's possible to listen to those that way--but for you to listen to a gym's self-broadcast stations, they'd need to be streaming them over the internet, or possibly over a local wifi (not sure if that would work). And I've not heard of any of them doing that. So I suspect your only option is to find a different device with an FM tuner to use instead.

Bill

We use I hart too...

Todd Z

I Heart Radio will only work for stations that simulcast their broadcasts on the internet via I Heart. It wont pick up regular FM broadcasts, as most devices capable of running the app don't have an FM tuner. Unless your gym is broadcasting over I Heart (and I have to suspect they wouldn't, as I have to think there are serious legal implications regarding sending someone else's signal over the Internet for public consumption), that won't help you in this situation.

But I do agree that it's a great app, well worth the download. Just not for this application. (No pun intended.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Bill V's right. You're SOL because the iPhone doesn't have FM-reception capability.

But for listening to internet-streamed radio stations, I use TuneIn Radio. It's great. I've lived in IL for almost six years since retiring from the USN, but just about every morning on the way to work, I listen to the morning radio show on WNIS-Norfolk that I listened to for the 10 years I was stationed in Tidewater.

I've never tried iHeartRadio. But from what I've seen on their website, it looks like TuneIn has many more stations available than iHeartRadio.

Kevin,

There are a number of inexpensive portable MP3 players that have FM tuners. I have a couple of old San Disk, Sansa players that work great and are only about the size of a pack of gum....Most can be bought for as little as $20 on some webstores like Amazon and TigerDirect.

First,,, I agree there is no internal means to tune to a SPECIFIC station. The iTune APP I downloaded is pretty impressive, but does not do what I am after.

Rich,

I think that is the way to go. Almost all of the "cheap" MP3's have a FM tuner.

Apple did make, (no longer available) and "Remote Control" unit that did tune to any channel. It found some used ones at Amazon for $23.00

So it may also be an option..

Latest posts