Looking for a plinking gun.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Schindler

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
Reaction score
As the topic says...

On my day off today, Theresa and I went to the Shooting Range and shot our guns. We shot the .410 shotgun, My Bersa Firestorm .380, Theresa's S&W 642CT, and my brothers Phoenix Arms .22LR. I also sighted in my Gamo Air Rifle to 50' accurate within 1/4". Will work it in a little closer to 75' this summer, but this is a good start. I did learn that I can keep my Bersa within a 4" pattern at 50 feet. I thought that is pretty decent for a hand gun with only a 3.5" barrel.

Anyways, we went through 150 rounds of the .22LR. Theresa just fell in love with the .22LR.

I was planning on getting a 12 GA Mossburg shotgun, but since the range we visited has a ladies night on tuesday, Theresa and her girlfriend can have free range time. Worth 12 bucks an hour.

Reading some website, everyone points at the Ruger Mark II or Mark III. A new Mark III will cost me about $270.00. I have read online that a Mark II will cost about $150.00 used.

Talked with one guy at the range that has a S&W 22A with the 7" Barrel. He said it shoots great. He is very happy with it.

Anyways, any suggestions?

Tom

P.S. I got my carry permit...just egging TJR and gary s NEVER SATISFIED on.:wacko:

I bought a Ruger 'Mark I' 22 pistol way back for $98 new. It is shoots well and fun to shoot, but it's a little tricky to clean. Without going into too much detail, the bolt lever is tricky to get back in place. The gun is very reliable and will shoot forever. The Ruger plant was very close to me and I had to have it serviced only one time, The gunsmith there said they would fix it anytime for free. I also have a S&W model 41, which is a target model, it's so accurate, I 've shot paper targets on edge in half. I used this one when I sot in competition. It's pricey though. A .22 is the way to go for plinking, cheap to shoot. If you want a rifle, Marlin has a couple that are good. A Model 60 semi-auto or a 39a lever action. Browning has the SA-22 which is small and fun to shoot with spent shells going out the bottom of the action. There are plenty of Remington bolt actions also, too many to list. I have all of the above and they are all great. If you guys ever come to CT, I will take you too my club for some skeet and trap. Have fun!

I had a walther p22... I did not like how it jammed too much.

If I were in the market for a plinking gun....22lr would be my choice.

For something small and handsome. I'd go with a ruger bearcat.... It's a small 22 revolver that's acually pretty accurate.

But for better accuracy and for semi auto... I'd go with a ruger mrk II or mrk III pistol.

For a rifle .. I'd go with a ruger 10/22.

The Ruger Mark II or III hinderance for me is what you were talking about Gary D. A friend of mine has a Mark II and I know what you mean, You need to like tipo it up and then down to get it together.

That is what is holding me back, though I have heard that they are super reliable and will shoot forever...like you said.

I will be getting a 22 rifle this spring, but for right now a pistol is what I am looking for.

I was suprised my brothers crappy little Phoenix .22LR with the 6" barrel was so accurate. Even if I were to swap out barrels to the 3" barrel, it is still accurate as hell.

Theresa just loved shooting the 22. I think it is great that she is really getting into it.

She wants to go to the gun show today to get some more targets and look at some used plinkers. Who knows what we may end up with today.

Tom

When you get ready for a rifle, I have a Kimber of oregon Mod.82 for sale.

Scoped, as new, box and papers, 10 rnds thru it maybe 20 yrs ago.

I have a H&R 9 shot 22LR for a plinker.

Excellent gun that I'm not sure they make any longer.

Breaks in the middle to eject shells

Speed loader available.

Long barrel for accuracy.

I've shot tens of thousands of rounds through it and now my granddaughter is using it too.

wow,

tom, congrats on your carry permit. that is some accomplishment :rolleyes:

oh great, now this lil guys family and friends are in trouble

[Broken External Image]:

have fun at ladies night,

Last edited by a moderator:
Caymen this is considered a competition accurate pistol and can be configured in many different variations at a very affordable price. Always gets good reviews except for the occasional 'it looks like a science fiction ray gun' comments.

By the way if you have an Outdoor World / Bass Pro Shops near you they frequently have the Neos on sale and you and your wife can test fire any gun on their range that your interested in.

Browning Medalist....a beautiful pistol

38351e5f743212479566a8e73ca5a98a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Me,

Yes, I looked at the Beretta Neo. Nice gun, but really dumb looking, IMO. My father used one for his CC Class. Nice weapon.

A little too rich for my blood. I found a new Ruger Mark III for $250.00 at the gun show. The only hold back for me is the goofy cleaning method.

We did not buy anything today. It will be after the first of the year when we get something. Until then, I will have her shoot the Phoenix before we but something serious for the range.

Tom

tom,

as well as that major accomplishment of getting your carry permit, congrats on your masters in english. i am confident in the near future you will be teaching english at a major university.

wow, things are looking great for you. what next? maybe you will get a library card.

good luck :lol:

I havent looked into it. I heard that for your CC in Texas. You have to carry what you qaulified with. Anyone know about that?

now i know why the dr. seuss collection is unavailable.

keep up the good work

don't you have a squirell to hunt down?

don't you have a squirell to hunt down?

No the squirrel must have realized I mean business. Respect my space and I will respect yours. Attack me and I will kill you. An animal attacking a human being is not right and must be killed.

Of course, this is something you do not understand. At one time, I did not understand it either...until it happened to me.

Tom

ok.

fully understood. the squirrel violated your space and attacked. did the squirell bite?

i am glad you got your point across to that darn lil squirell. he deserves what ever comes to him.

btw, my sister was bitten by a rattle snake in florida a few months ago.

ever since i have been looking for that snake and when i find him, BOOM, he is done.

teach him a lesson :rolleyes:

Latest posts