Looking for a plinking gun.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The squirrel has moved on. I am glad the squirrel did not bite. If it would have, there is a chance my wife would have had to undergo rabies shots.

I understand this is nothing compared to driving a Ford, but I have heard they are painful.

Glad to hear your sister is OK. I am sure she doesn't worry about rattle snakes unless they decide to be agressive with her.

Anyways, we are going to shoot my friends widow's Ruger Mark II to decide if this is what we want.

Tom

did you I.D That particular Squirrel Caymen, would be terrible to kill one that was not the perp of the crime:)

caymen the great Squirrel slayer, they should make a movie:)

Think you need a barrett BMG:lol:

tom,

i am sure he has moved on.

you dont need to show that darn lil criiter your gun, your tough guy talk is enough to scare him away :lol:

did you I.D That particular Squirrel Caymen, would be terrible to kill one that was not the perp of the crime

I dod not own a pellet refle at the time. I used the next best thing. I used a foot. Kicked that little sucker right in the face. If it is still living in a tree with it wife and kids, good for it. I am happy it moved on.

If not, I will be outside come next spring. Come see me. My biggest concern is when an animal loses its fear of humans, something is wrong. I hope it was only a squirrel with big balls and not a squirrel with rabies.

Tom

P.S. gary, it is a squirrel and not a squirell. Two r's and one l.

If anyone would like to know, rabbies shots are nothing. My son and I both had them last year. 7 shots the first time and 4 more, 1 every couple of weeks.

"i dod not own a pellet refle"

better get back the library card :lol:

you kicked the critter in the face. i am sure he and his family are living in fear.

he deserves whatever he gets :rolleyes:

gotta get to bed now, i am going to get up in a few hours to BLAST away that racoon that got into my garbage pail last night. he violated my space, he is DONE !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
You gotta give me credidt. I was able to hit the shift key at the beginig of the sentence and hit the shift key at the end.

Tom

Tom, my 22 plinker is a S&W 2206. Great gun, hard to find nowadays. Also comes as a 622 (alloy frame instead of stainless), and 422 (blued instead of stainless). Like many 22 semi-automatics, it's not simple to take apart, but once you get the hang of it, not a big deal. The Browning Buckmark is another good gun to consider. The fiber optic sights on the Buckmark make it far easier to shoot than all of the iron sight guns.

I had a Walther P22 for a couple of years. One of the coolest looking guns anywhere. Great ergonomics. But it really started to show a lot of internal wear after about 1500 rounds (slide is a zinc alloy). And it wasn't terribly accurate or reliable. Some are. Mine wasn't.

I love 22 semi-autos, but most are picky about ammo, particularly budget ammo, which really is the whole point of a plinker. Revolvers are another story. That would be my choice in a 22 plinker if I were going to buy another. If I had a lot to spend it would be a S&W 317. On a budget, I'd go with a Taurus 94. Revolvers rock!

Meant to ask: How is Theresa doing with the 642? Is she practicing with it, or is the recoil putting her off?

She has ran through 200 rounds through it. She tried to use it to qualify for her CCW, but freaked out in the middle of the test. She was shooting dead on at 15 feet when the range safety officer made everyone shoot one shot at a time. When it came time to qualify, we loaded 5 rounds into the guns and shot. She hit the first one dead center. The next one was about 6 inches away and she started to cry. She thought she was going to fail. The other 3 were all over the place because of it. She ended up finishing the test with my .380. The different gun, longer barrel, and better sights calmed her down. She finished the shooting time just fine.

The recoil does not bother her one bit with the .38 Special. She does understand why I chose the revolver for her as a personal defense weapon and not an auto. She know that all she has to do is point the gun at the bad guy and squeeze the trigger. The gun will do the rest. Once the bullet leaves the gun, it will do its job when it hits the person. We got Glaser Blues in it.

She really has enjoyed shooting with my brothers Phoenix .22LR. It has exchangable barrels. A 4" barrel and a 6" barrel. It is a bit of a pain to swap barrels, but not too bad when you get the hang of it. I can do it in about 30 seconds.

I think we will end up with a Ruger Mark II or Mark III. We like the idea of being able to have some magazines loaded and just empty the clip, reload another one, fire some more, grab another, etc.

I found a Ruger Mark III at the gun show brand new, in the box, for $249.00. I bet I could get it for $250.00 out the door. Not a bad price. Before we buy something, Theresa will shoot a friends Mark II to see how she likes it. The Mark II was our friends husbands gun, but he has died. She has some emotional attachments to some items and not others. She sold one of his guns, but has a hard time even wanting to look at others he had. She is still in mouring, so I understand. Not saying I want that gun or not, but if she is wanting to sell it, I would be interested in buying it...possibly.

Anyway, Theresa is not scared to shoot the 642. We plan on shooting one every 3 months just to make sure she knows how to aim it. Besides that, we are just going to use a 22 to have fun. Tuesday nights are ladies night at the range and Theresa and her girlfriend get free range time. She can have all the fun she wants. I have every other friday off and we are already planning on going on the 19th again.

Tom

Tom:

I think your wife is a better aim than I am although at 56, my eyes are not as good as they used to be.

Gary G:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Just bought a new plinker. Ruger P345 45 ACP. Nice handgun for the price IMO!

Gary G:)

Walther P22 or Sig Mosquito

I was thinking the exact same thing. The Buckmark was #3 on my list. I like the Rugers as far as shooting, but can do without the looks. No my taste, but if the price was right.

Well, just an update.

We ended up with a cheapie. Walther P22, too much money for too little. I have shot one and I just don't understand Walthers. Nothing inpressive to me at all.

Never looked at the Sig's, but if it were up to me I would have gotten a Ruger Mark III.

We ended up with the Jiminez JA22. Cheapie made in Henderson, NV. Cost us $116.00 out the door. Decently accurate for what she uses it for. On the first day we shot it, we ran 500 rounds through it without one misfire. While at the range I got a rifle. I ended up getting two guns for less than the price of the Walther and for about the same cost as a Ruger Mark III.

Tom

have fun at ladies night

I would not knock a woman's skill with a gun. When I used to go shooting with my folks, Mom would outshoot us almost every time. Also, when I was in high school, I was on a rifle team for two years. The toughest competition I ever shot against was when the other team had girls on it--and don't blame it on hormones! ;) Those girls could shoot!

It is a well known fact in gun circles that women in general are better shooters than men. The theory is that women just do it natural and men try to over analyze and then over compensate everything.