Looking at buying a used Windstar or Freestar, any recomendations?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Chase

Reaction score
So we just found out this week that my wife is pregnant with our 3rd child!!:haveabeer:

Our Mystique is not going to be too comfortable with 3 carseats in the backseat and my wife would like to buy a minivan. Anyone owned a windstar or freestar? Any specific years that were good or bad (I've heard the early years of the Windstar (mid -late 90's) weren't the best. Our dream vehicle would be the Ford Edge, but may be out of our price range and the minivans will get better mileage so for now we're leaning that way.

I dont hear any good about the windstar. The freestar is based on the original ford 500.

Not to be a ford jumper.

The honda odysey is #1 in most reports. The chrysler town and country #2.

room for the 3 inthe back seat of sport trac for anather 2yrs why change ....put em back starpped in... hangin on...... and screamin.....

check out a ford flex room for the kids and then some

The Flex is way overpriced...especially if they aren't considering an Edge.

My parents had a Grand Caravan that was just shy of 300k miles before they cashed the clunker. Had a transmission rebuild at about 150k. Nothing but general maintenance for the drivetrain. The rest of the vehicle was pure garbage, though. The freakin' sliding door fell out of track within the first year. Bought it new in '95 ('96 model), traded it in '08.

I'm no Chrysler apologist and generally think their products are pretty subpar but they have always seemed to get the minivan right.

The Odyssey does has some really cool features.

I've never really heard of anybody impressed with their Ford minivan. :cry:

Cool thing about buying a used minivan, if that's the route you go, is that they don't hold value like trucks. You should be able to find a great deal on a used one.

Stay away from the Windstar. The Freestar is "ok". As long as you get an Edge without awd or the moonroof you should be ok..I loved mine. The Odysseys like to break motor mounts and still have transmission issues. The Town and Countrys aren't too bad

Rod we're keeping the trac for now because I know I can fit the 3 kids in the backseat. The Flex would be nice but out of our price range right now. Her Mercury Mystique is just a little too small for us when we have the 3rd so that's the car we're getting rid of right now (although in a year or two I will be getting an F-150 so we have more room for our trips up north). I'd really like to stay with the Ford Nameplate as I've always had vehicles that have lasted. We might look at some mid 2000's explorers as well with the 3rd row of seats. Or possibly a full size car like a Taurus or Fusion.

Andy, take it from someone who has owned a 2000 Ford Windstar, had neighbors who have owned newer and older Windstar- save your money, seriously. If you are looking for a mini van go with Toyota or Honda in the 2005-2006, prices are not that overwhelming. If you can settle with a SUV then the Explorer is not bad but stay away from the introduction version of any vehicle. i.e. first year of production for a new style since you want to stay in the Ford family. Ford has come along way since those early years but there bad rep still haunts them. I bought two Mazda6 that were produced when Ford owned Mazda and they too have suffered the Ford bad workmanship. Good luck.

Latest posts