Longer shocks necessary with Spindle lift??

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven W

Reaction score
Just as it says, I was thinking of doing a spindle lift. Is it necessary to get longer shocks to accomodate the lift. I also already have a torsion twist of about 1.5". But I will probably lower them a little.

thanks

A spindle lift doesn't change the limits the shock has to work in, so you can use the stock size shocks.

George, both can be done for the same vehicle. I need more opinions on this. I am thinking I will need longer shocks but am hoping I wont.

thanks

The amount of suspension travel in the front will not change with either or both of the TT and or spindle. The TT changes the resting height only, and the spindle changes the position of the spindle and wheel. The suspension travel does change in the back with the shackle lift. There is more droop; the bump stops should handle the compression as with stock.

Remember the front suspension has no rebound (droop) bump stops - they are internal to the shock, so whatever you get, ensure it has this or you'll brake something.

Q,

Could you please explain? It is my understanding with a spindle lift that the spindle is relocated lower on the knuckle lowering the wheel (brakes, et al) effectively raising the vehicle. It is my understanding with a "torsion bar twist" that the lower control arm is lowered relative to the frame effectively raising static height. With both of these approaches, the distance from full compression to full extension of the lower control arm (amount of travel) remains the same.

The practical difference between the two is that the TT reduces the amount of extension available from the static riding height while the spindle lift does not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow that did not make sense at all. Of course the travel of the shock would not change. That is built into the geometry of the suspension. However the resting point of said shock will be higher after a lift, ie If there were 10 inches (5up and 5down) and you lifted the truck 3inches with a spindle and 1.5 with a torsion twist, then the new travel of the suspension would be 9.5 inches up (tire into wheel well) and 0.5inches down (tire down from wheel well). Of course upper travel would be limited by bump stop and tire hitting inner side of wheel well. ????Anyone??

No, longer shocks are not needed. On a spindle lift, the upper and lower shock attach points do not change. The mounting postion of the wheel changes and that is what raises the vehicle.

The suspension will function as if the vehicle is at stock height. Stock length is the correct shock to use.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mookie thanks for the answer. That makes perfect sense. Now if I can just find someone that is selling some. Do you know what else you have to change when you do a spindle lift.

Latest posts