Long Road Trips with the Trac

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benjamin Feinstein

Reaction score
Well in the past three weeks my Trac and I have driven over 3000 miles. The first trip was from my house near Washington DC to Avon in the Outer Banks of NC. My family and friends had the Trac loaded down for the week stay in the beach house. After about 8 hours we arrived at the house thanks to traffic both in Richmond and in Norfolk. After a very relaxing wekk on the beach we loaded up the Trac and headed home. Another 6 hours on the road with no problems.

The next day I loaded up the Trac to go visit a friend that lived in TN. The Trac handled the 12 hour drive to Waynesboro with no complaints. After spending 5 days there it was back to my house and another 12 drive with no problems.

The next weekend it was off to Hamilton NY for my brothers wedding and another 6 hour drive. Again no problems from the Trac. After the wedding it was back home once again.

I can say that I am very happy with the Trac it is very comfortable on long drives and even my passengers agree that the Trac makes long drives alot better.

Good to hear. I'll be doing the No. VA to OBX drive in a couple of weeks. Can't wait! Actually going all the way to Emerald Isle this year. Went to Duck/Corolla the last couple of years. :D

Have you upgraded your shocks & put on the Explorer Express anti-sway bar yet? If you haven't I strongly encourage you to do so. You'll really like to improvement. :D

We've done 3 5K+ trips cross country in our '01 ST with no major complaints; except that after a week & a half on the road the drive does wear on you.

I was very happy with the 2300 mile trip to Louisville and back this year, I would gladly take the trac again on a long trip in a heart beat...

Todd Z

i have taken my 07 trac across the state of fl twice since ive owned it and it handles like a champ the trac doesnt care if its raining or sunshine. i love this thing.

[Broken External Image]:

I've had my Trac for almost 2 months now and between going to Asheville, NC and Sarasota, Fl from Jacksonville constantly i've collected 5200 miles thus far. Every mile has handled as good as the first. No complants whatsoever... besides gas but thats a given.

Made r/t from Washington State to Arizona last March pullin g apopup. Nice comfortable trip. Needed the 4WD when I crossed over from I-15 in Utah to US89. I was up to 10000 ft and the road was covered with snow.

Returned to AZ in May when I moved here and wife drove all way ( I was in U-haul truck) and she loved driving it too.

I agree, the ST is very comfortable on long trips.

The ProCOmp shocks made the highway ride on mine much better than stock. I hated driving the ST on long trips before that upgrade. Now it is smooth sailing and no driver fatigue anymore. :D

I've taken my trac on several long trips with no problem. The only complaint I have is the excessive wind noise coming from the A-pillar and the rear window areas.

I took mine on one long road trip and my kids complained that the backseat was not comfortable as you were forced to sit straight up.

Trying to pass cars on 2 lane roads was a problem as well.

I am taking the girl to Atlantic City for the weekend. Its our 17th wedding anniversary on Saturday, and we are spending the weekend at the Borgata. Boby Flay Steak for dinner tomorrow night.

TJR