Locking Gas Door Project?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look around at most domestic makes. Even a Lincoln Navigator doesn't have something a Hyundai or Kia has. A interior release gas door!

Makes no sense to me either, Gavin.

I have a working model of an electric gas door lock that uses an electric door lock actuator and hooks up to the rear door locks. Lock your doors and your gas door is locked. Unlock all the doors and your gas door unlocks.

I had hoped to have the final product up for sale back in December, but due to some family and finacial issues I have not been able to put the finishing touches on this project.

...Rich

I hope that you get it up and going real soon Rich, as it would eliminate that nuisance of having to unlock the gas cap, then twist it to seal, then turn the key back counterclockwise, then twist the cap to lock it in place. PLUS, it woould eliminate me from losing my gas key!

Enough said, I will be waiting for you to post it as soon as you get it done. With what you have done for the ST, FOMOCO should have hired you long ago!

;)

Since the ST is equipped with an anti-siphon downspout (at least the 2004's are), why would you need one?

I was going to make an electric door lock that would unlock with the tailgate/rear doors (real real easy), but after realizing it was pointless with the siphon feature I discarded the notion.

Chops, one might not be worried about getting gas siphoned out of their ST, maybe just about someone with bad intentions worried about having something dropped into their ST fuel tank such as water or sugar and messing up the fuel system.

I put a locking gas cap on my ST when I was a high school teacher.....You'd be suprised what little punks will pour into your tank if they don't like you. And I taught the low phase students who didn't like school, so how could I get them to like me? I was trying to teach them how to add the number of burgers to flip to fill an order.

Chops, why discard such an easy fix? Maybe you don't see the importance of it as some of us do, however,I think it would be worth it to share here at this site for the benefit (and yours, i.e: you would be helping a lot of people) of those who might like it. As for me, I'm not quite so adept at such electro/techie stuff, but give me some wood and I will fashion some artistic stuff, so I would be interested in such a locking fuel cap/gizmo whatcha may call it thingy!

Just a thought, Chops. LOL:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
OK Mr M,

Convince me why I need it and I'll gladly build it....Like I said, it's easy, but I don't get it.

If you're concerned about intrusion, lookie at my project that saddles the flashing icon key in your dash, it adds notice that there is an alarm system of some type installed.

I have the same setup on my HD, and it keeps people away.

I haven't heard of sugar or sand in twenty years in my orbit, but tire slashing does happen.

What you gonna do 'bout that?

And, siphons are a thing of the past. Siphons are too considerate, the going trend now is a cordless drill and a gas can, it works real well with our plastic gas tank.

And last but not least, the gas lid is a flimsy piece of cheap plastic. Do you guys *really* think an electric lock on a flimsy piece of cheap plastic is going to keep someone intending to do your truck harm , from entry?

The anti-siphon feature works. After the last hurricane of 2005 and we were without power for days, and all the gas stations were closed, I tried in vain to get gas out of my truck for my generators.

Features I see useful I make, I guess the last one was the electric-auto locking feature on my advance cover----now that is useful.

"And last but not least, the gas lid is a flimsy piece of cheap plastic. Do you guys *really* think an electric lock on a flimsy piece of cheap plastic is going to keep someone intending to do your truck harm , from entry? "

And, if you don't have a manual override for the electric lock, installing such could eventually become a big PITA if it ever fails!

Don't do it eletrically... just use a manual cable from a lever inside the cab that runs out to the door itself.

Heck, they do it on $10,000 cars, why not on a $25,000 Trac?

Chops,

There are several reasons why I or others might want to lock our gas doors.

1. Although siphoning gas may not be the biggest reason, it can be done without much difficulty! I have a small commercial siphon pump that I use on a regular basis to take gas out of my 2001 and now my 2003 Sport Trac to use in my lawnmower, and I have had absolutely no difficulty doing so. So what ever makes you think the Sport Trac has an anti-siphon gas tank, does not appear to work.

2. Some people and kids may wish to contaminate your fuel with something that could damage your fuel system.

3. Even small neighborhood children may find the fuel door interesting to play with and end up breaking it or, remove the cap and shove toys, sticks, or rocks in your fuel tank.

As you stated, the fuel door is just plastic and could be easily pried open if locked. Most vandalizm and thefts are crimes of opportunity. If they find your gas door locked, they will in most cases simply move on the next vehicle. If they are willing to risk getting caught by spending the time and effort to pry open you gas door, they probably know you and are not interested in vandalizing someone elses vehicle.

Yes, most American vehicles do not come with locking gas caps or locking gas doors, but most Japanese vehicles do have key or cable operated gas door locks.

wwashing,

My lock desgn has a hidden emergency cable that can be used to unlock the gas door if there were a failure of the actuator or wiring.

Darin,

The reason for making it electrical is that the door locks and unlocks without any conscience effort by the driver. Stringing the wires is simple and the door lock actuator has a simple lock/unlock mechanism built in. If you only use a cable, you will need to add additional mechanical parts like springs and levers to ensure that the gas door lock always returns to the locked position. And depending upon the locking mechanism, do you need to remember to lock the door after it is closed, or will the door automatically lock when the door is closed??

The simple cable release involves much more complex mechanical parts than using a simple door lock actuator that are typically available for about $5-$15.

...Rich

Rich,

I have a 2004, and all I know is I couldn't get a tube of any size down my filler neck more than about 18". That for the most part disuaded me from persuing a fuel door actuator mod.

If I wanted to get real concerned about my gas integrity, a simple alarm pin switch mounted behind the fuel door plate, that closes upon opening the door- tying into my present car alarm, would be better insurance for me. And if I were as paranoid about the ST as I am my Harley, I would integrate an alarm pager into the mix, as I did with my bike.

I guess the anti-siphon feature started with 2004 if your 2003 is not equipped, but I don't know. Rich I think you or someone mentioned a retrofit aluminum filler door at one time, but the cost to tool up was too high. That would be the ticket.

Chops, I am not trying to convince you to do the project for me, I was just asking and trying to see if it was feasible, your question of me "convincing you" was not meant to be overbearing. You mentioned it (project), and I asked about it. You don't want to do it, NO PROBLEM! Sorry that I asked for your helpful tip!

:cool:::eek:

#1 Coming from a person who has had sugar in their gas tank, I was astounded that my 03 St did not come with this feature. So I installed the locking gas cap.

#2 When they ran a smog check on my truck, I was once again astounded that the smog guys had just "pulled" the locking gas cap off WITHOUT it being unlocked!!! And these were guys that were so dumb they suggested I get a new cap because it didn't seal to their vacuum very well. Duh, it's still locked!

SO hmmmm, If someone manages to make this item a reality, I would like to be first in line.

Chops,

Yes, connecting an alarm switch to your gas door might be sufficient to keep the neighborhood kids away from your truck, but how much good would it do when you are parked in the Mall parking lot. Car alarms go off everyday and nobody pays attention.

I had a paging alarm on my 1971 Monte Carlo, and one day my pager went off while I was at work. The building did not have any windows that faced the parking lot so I had to take the elevators down 4 floors down to the ground floor. Then I had to run across the street to the parking lot and back to where my car was parked. If you havent already guessed, it was a false alarm. There was nobody else in the parking lot and nobody had messed with the car.

After several false alarms at very inconvenient times, I shut the alarm off and never used it again.

I mentioned this story because small kids like to play pranks like ringing door bells and running away. I can just imagine some 8 year old neighborhood kid flipping your gas door open and the alarm goes off and he runs away. He is so fasinated that he shows his friends, who want to try it too. I think you get the picture. ;)

...Rich

Rich I did my share of doorbell ringing when younger. :lol:

Kind of see your point , but I consider the fuel door actuator a wasted effort on 2004 and newer ST's due to the anti siphon feature. That's JMO only. The rising price of gas is what I see as a factor for having it locked up. A locking gas cap would be a much greater deterrent from vandalism and fuel theft. If the fuel door was constructed of a much more substantial material rather than soda bottle polymers, I would have a different opinion.

As I said, someone wanting to due harm will not stop because of a locked flimsy plastic door. A very simple twist of a screwdriver inserted and the door is unlatched. About 2 seconds worth of effort.

Mr Marvyn no foul, I should have inserted a few emoticons in my message.

Gavin,

No problem. Everyone has different needs and different preferences. I just think it's a good deterent to a random act of vandalizm, but not for someone bent and messing with you.

...Rich

Latest posts