Locking Gas Door Project?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not arguing wth you Richard. In fact, please let me know if/when you get your product together, BECAUSE I WANT ONE TOO! I think you have me mixed up with someone else here.

I agree that a lock on the gas door would be a worthwhile thing to have. Sure, it wouldn't keep anyone out who really wanted in, but it would deter most all vandals. The lock on my all glass front door doesn't really make my house secure, but it keeps the honest folks out.

I've had locking gas caps and had the same experience where they could be easily removed even without unlocking them. I doubt that a locking gas cap is any more secure than a locking fuel filler door. However, the convenience of your electrical actuator design would more than outweigh the hassle of fighting a locking gas cap.

The anti-siphon gas filler is a neat idea, but I can't imagine how it would work. I think someone's hose was too fat or a little too limp.

Gavin,

I know you were not arguing and I hope you did not think I was agruing. You just stated that you did not see a need for a locking gas door, and I replied with several reasons why I would think it would be a handy deterent that required little or no action or inconvenience on the driver.

My current electronic gas door lock requires you to epoxy a metal plate to the back of the gas door that contanes a locking loop. That would add a considerable amount of strength to the gas door. Now I am working on adding a simple hook system to the metal plate to hang the gas cap on the back side of the gas door like my Honda has.

The other problem I'm having is making it easier to install. but I have several ideas that may work.

...Rich

...Rich

Gavin,

Do some research on the anti-siphon feature incorporated in the 2004 ST's.

It has nothing to do with hose rigidity, you can't add it on, you can't buy it, it is not a modification and you can't defeat it topside.

Latest posts