Locker question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have the Aussie rear locker, and would like to get a front locker too. What would be the best/cheapest way to go? I want something that I can select myslef. My trac has 2wd, 4h and 4l, no auto 4wd. Could I get away with another Aussie up front?

The trac is my daily driver, I want the lockers for winter driving and to be able to get to my fishing holes during the summer.

Alaska can be fickle at times and I know a locker will come in handy. Will I be ok with just the rear? No hard off-roading done.

Thanks

Doug

My only concern would be the daily driving aspect..... I know the front is moving with the truck all the time but is Not locked in to the rear until you engage the 4wd h or Low...

Then if you hit dry pavement, i can see a weak link snapping since the truck will effectively become a LOCKED 4wd, there will be no room for slippage in the drive train at all..

Todd Z

The only way you could get away with putting a true locker in the front is at the same time have manual hubs installed. Other wise both front wheels would be locked together all the time and impossible to turn on pavement. Another option you may want to look into is the Powertrax system from Richmond gear which is essentially a limited slip. I dropped one of these in my 68 Camaro and was very pleased with it's operation, left 2 black marks on straight line acceleration yet still unlocked going around corners.

I think Todd has pretty much nailed it.

If you were always in mud/snow/ or ice you could get away with it as SOMETHING MUST slip or give. By locking everything up. If you lose your slip/give at the road surface, you will be snapping drive shafts I would think...

There are others that have a Aussie/Powertrax locker in the front. But they also destroy CV's much easier when offroading.

I can tell you from a driving stand point you would be much happier with a true trac differential in the front. Clutch type Limited slips and lockers in a front diff tend to wander and follow ruts and generally are not fun to drive especially at speed. We have used true tracs in our race trucks with a lot of success. Todd is exactly right about the front axles.

Dave

I put in an Aussie last summer too, and it's performance this past winter was phenominal !

I also had thoughts of a locker up front, but, after checking a bunch of Explorer and other 4x4/off roading forums, decided against it. The only lockers you'd want would be either the manual-locking hub type, or one that you can manually engage with additional switches. The conversion is costly, so if it's for your daily driver and you don't do hard-core off-roading, it's not worth it (time/money/effort).

Since you put in the Aussie in the rear and you have the stock 4wd switches, just make sure you have a good set of A/T tires and you'll be plenty happy !!

Latest posts