locker project?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heent

Reaction score
That was the closest message category I could find, though from what I've read so far, it appears it's easier to swap for a locker if you have the Open rather than LS differential.

Has anyone done up a project/write-up on installing a locker such as the Aussie? I'd like to do this mod myself, but I think I could probably pretty quickly get in over my head with this one.

It is simple, and they install the same regardless of an open or L/S differential. Should be an hour at most. And it comes with instructions for the install. Someone here did a project on it, but it is just pics from the manual that came with the kit. You can go to the manufacturers websites and get instructions for installing.

Last edited by a moderator:
My Aussie locker just arrived. I will try and tackle it this weekend. I'll try and keep notes as best as I can and pass them along. If my hands aren't to dirty I'll get some pics too.

Doug

Aussie locker or PowerTrax WILL NOT FIT IN A LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIAL ...

... OPEN DIFFERENTIALS ONLY !!!

That being said, it's not a difficult install ... follow the instructions & dont be intimidated if you haven't tried something like this before.

If you have an open differential, this project is worth its weight in gold !!!

Put an Aussie in my '04 Trac last summer and it is incredible (remember that 10 inches of snow in February ?? Trac went up a steep hill without slipping once !! )

As for the limited slip ... still have options, but more work installing and more expensive too. If you need or reallllly want one, it'll be worth it, but be prepared

I had a L/S in my ST, and I put the Powertrax locker in mine.

So whoever told you

Aussie locker or PowerTrax WILL NOT FIT IN A LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIAL ...

... OPEN DIFFERENTIALS ONLY !!!
is very,very, wrong.

See link for details and pricing for a Powertrax Locker: ST with L/S have the 7/8 shaft 31 spline. The L/S type of locker is $20.00 more. And they both install the same way. Been there and done it.

Unless things have changed, as far as I know the only limited-slip or locker that would fit in our front diffs was the Powertrax No-Slip. Not all Dana 35's are the same.

A front locker will be hard on our weak CV joints, however the other school of thought is that it can make things easier on your truck because the extra traction means you can crawl over stuff instead of relying on momentum to help. Just the same, I'd advise keeping an extra halfshaft and the tools to change it on the trail.

Also a front locker on snow and ice is a bad thing unless you are reeeeal good at driving it.

Chad;

When I said that it would only fit in a non-L/S diff, I meant the rear ... because that is what the manufacturer said when I installed mine .... so, if i'm wrong, then the manufacturers are wrong about thier products.

So, speaking for myself, i apologize if i'm wrong ... as for the manufacturers, you'll have to ask for an apology from them ;)

From the Aussie Locker manufacturer ....

"What if I have a limited slip or posi diff now?

You will need to replace the limited slip or posi carrier with an open carrier. Open carriers are available at auto salvage yards, on bulletin boards and at aftermarket diff parts retailers "

Latest posts