Locked my only key in the ST, any tips tricks?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Vinke

Reaction score
Well, I only had one key since I bought my ST and have been putting off paying the dealership to program an extra for me. Well I locked them in last night. Any tips or tricks to getting into an ST? I know it has that safety feature thing where the unlock button won't work and my keys are in the ignition so it's pretty near impossible getting to the keyfob. I do have slim-jim, but I've tried it a bunch of times before on other cars with no luck. Am I stuck paying a locksmith or somebody to come?

I've done that as well Dan. :wacko:

Essentially what I did was call AAA got a membership and then had them come out and unlock the vehicle.:)

D-

Can use a wood wedge to hold the door open and hit the power unlock button on the door with the coat hanger.

I have done that before...

You don't know the door code ??

ALSO you can get a second key made and not program it, or get a non chipped key cut for this type of issue...

Todd Z

That depends on the type of membership. I got a regular one, sorry I don't remember the exact cost, but I don't think it was more than $90-95 bucks.

I thought it worth it cause I had towing, emergency service for dead battery or running out of fuel and of course the key lock out problem all covered for a year.

D-

Once you call they should be able to let you know when some one can come out, triple A is 24/7.

Of course Todd's idea could save a lot of time and some money:lol:

AAA is a good investment though, it can pay for itself in one service call, and you have the security of knowing that if there is a problem with any vehicle you have you can get it towed, jump started, fueled or unlock without any additional money out of pocket anywhere in the country for a year.

The membership goes with the member not the vehicle.

D-

The wood wedge idea is good but you will most likely tear up your seals and scratch some paint off. I have a similar kit as the one below and it is unbelieveable how that little air pumped wedge prys the door open to enable access to either the lock button or lock knob.

Real cheap insurance if you need it. Don't know if it can be found local or not (locksmith maybe / LeRue?). I keep it attached to the top of the spare on my van and have used it twice in the last few years on it and numerous times on others vehicles.

Since I have the kaypad on my ST I don't ned it for that.

Just an idea.

A locksmith used one on my 1992 lesabre...i still think that it bent the drivers' door outward :(

Not a fan...but on a different note, are you saying that you keep the tools to break into your vehicle outside your vehicle?

Are you friends with any firefighters? If you are they usually carry a lockout kit on each of their trucks. I am a firefighter and I have to unlock people's vehicles all the time. For a sport trac you will need a air pumped wedge to seperate the door then you will need either a wondertool from the lockout kit or a j-bar. You also might be able to just take a wondertool from a lock out kit and go down the window and inside and push on the power unlock button. But the air pump wedge makes it alot easier.

Do you not have a key pad on the door.

Break the window. Replacement glass can not be that expensive. For crying out loud, there was only 20 million Explorers built.

Once you get in it, suck it up and get a few more keys made.

Tom

Nope, don't know the keypad code, didn't get it when I bought the car and just haven't gotten around pulling the air bag to get the code.

I've broken into many, many vehicles in my day. My college room mate and I were the "campus mechanics" and had a lockout kit and were unlocking peoples cars for them all the time and charged $10 a pop:D

BUT, the ST has the security feature or some crap where once you lock the doors and close them all the unlock buttons won't work, trust me I've tried it. My g/f locked my keys in it one other time when I was at her house in PA and her dad had AAA and they came and the first thing he said was that it probably had that security feature like all the newer cars have and sure enough when he tried pushing the unlock button it didn't work. This guy was like Micheal Jordan of unlocking cars and he actually pulled the keys out of the ignition with his little pullers and pused the unlock button on the keyfob :blink: I was like "you are the master!"

When you finally gain access get yourself a Hitchsafe. Check it out at Hitchsafe.com

I got mine for about $65 and it's nice peace of mind.

My local dealer wanted $150 for a new key, I called around and found a local locksmith that programmed a key for $40. Once you have two functioning keys, you can buy and program your own. I got the replacement keys off eBay.

BUT, the ST has the security feature or some crap where once you lock the doors and close them all the unlock buttons won't work, trust me I've tried it.

Been driving my Trac since 2002 and I never heard of that security feature, nor have any clue what you are trying to explain.

Tom

I am pretty sure the door lock buttons time out. Sooo, you would have to try that shortly after locking the keys in the vehicle, after 10 or 15 minutes or what ever it is, the relay no longer feeds the front lock switch power.

On all my other vehicles, that don't have keypads, I keep a key hidden that will allow access into the vehicle but not allow the person to use it in the ignition. Sure someone may find the key but I figure if they are that intent on getting inside, I'd rather they use the key then break a window. You could try your local fire department and see if they have the right tool to get the door unlocked. We use to carry them for emergencies.

I am pretty sure the door lock buttons time out. Sooo, you would have to try that shortly after locking the keys in the vehicle, after 10 or 15 minutes or what ever it is, the relay no longer feeds the front lock switch power.

Exactly! Try starting your ST, shut it off, lock the doors with your drivers side door then close the door while still inside, then just sit and wait a while and try your unlock button, it won't work.

I was pretty sure I was correct...

The relay that feeds that needs some sort of a power surge to re-activate it.

Maybe try operating the outside door code panel, that may trip the relay.

Worth a try...

Well, I just signed up for AAA last night, called them this morning at 10:15 and somebody was here at 10:45 to open it up. They used an airbag and grabber thing to pull the door handle. It cost $55 for a year membership with AAA, and it probably would have cost the same to have somebody come and open it.

I think I'm gonna pull my airbag today to find out what my code is, lol. (behind the airbag is where it is right?)

Thanks

Latest posts